• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Skype Mobile on Froyo

Numark

Nov 26, 2009
Chicago
So after installing the FRF57 build of Froyo, I searched the Market for Skype Mobile, however it was not there. I found an .apk of it (version 1.0.0.6), but it doesn't support calls over WiFi. Can anyone tell me how I can get Skype Mobile to show in the 2.2 Market, or at least direct to a more current .apk of it?

I've never really understood the benefit of Skype on the phone. I can see it on a lappy but it seems it too cumbersome to use on my phone...

Unlimited calls to US/Canada for $3/mo. more than 500 minutes plan, vs. cost of telco's unlimited plan...but it depends on how its integrated. Skype is built in to the phone dialer on my phone, and I simply select either "Cellular call", "Skype call", or "Skype Video call".

Upvote 0
That's odd you guys don't have Skype in the market. It's showing up fine on NexFro 1.0.1. Anyway, I've attached the latest version of Skype from the market incase anybody wants it.

Thanks man, I appreciate it! I'm going out of the country soon and this seems like a cheaper alternative than paying roaming fees (or whatever, I forget how it all works :p)

Upvote 0
Unlimited calls to US/Canada for $3/mo. more than 500 minutes plan, vs. cost of telco's unlimited plan...but it depends on how its integrated. Skype is built in to the phone dialer on my phone, and I simply select either "Cellular call", "Skype call", or "Skype Video call".

you still have to pay minutes for using skype to call regular phone numbers though!

Upvote 0
I will Tell you what happened with me , this may help some others.
I have my Samsung Galaxy S i9000 ,froyo 2.2 .

Every time I go to market , I see error 404 , which means file not found.
when I read some documentaion for skype on skype website , I saw that there is a restriction to download on some languages.

=================================================
When I changed the language from Arabic to English UK , i failed to download skype

But

When I changed the language to English United States , I download Skype without any problem and it is working perfectly.
=====================================

I hope at least one of you get benifit from this workaround.

Bye

Upvote 0
I understand there is an issue with Verizon customers, so it may be that the version pre-installed on Verizon phones just sucks that way.

I have an unbranded unlocked phone, and I was able to download Skype via the market while I was visiting the US and then make calls to other countries over Wifi even though I didn't have a data plan at the time.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones