Skype Mobile

Last Updated:

1. jamo

jamo Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So, I very excitedly downloaded Skype Mobile this morning, and...I'm so pissed. You can't use it over wi-fi! You can't even use it with wi-fi enabled. I was really looking forward to using this next week when I go over to Europe, but now I can't. What a waste...:mad:

Advertisement
  2. NHARRISON1969

NHARRISON1969 Active Member

Yep the app is crap and from what I understand the calls do count against your minutes.

3. jamo

Yeah, that is why they won't let you use wi-fi. How ridiculous...that EVO is looking pretty good all of a sudden. Why would Verizon even announce this, for the 1% of the population with relatives abroad? Good job...

4. superdorf

superdorf Well-Known Member

You guys should really read the information on how it works... or watch the video from CITA...

5. sbursik

sbursik Well-Known Member

6. Le0_Br4zUc4

Le0_Br4zUc4 Well-Known Member

This is what most people didn't understand yet. Skype Mobile is an application for verizon phones to use over verizon's network, if you use it out of country or WiFi you aren't using the app over verizon's network. It won't work just like you can't use V-Cast and other VZW apps when you're overseas.

The solution to your problem could maybe be google voice? I believe you will be able to use it in europe over wifi.

7. sbursik

sbursik Well-Known Member

From the article on Engadget.....

8. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

Google voice on android is not voip and does not work over wifi

9. jamo

Quoted from Engadget:
    "Making a call to any other Skype user is handled purely through data, but a call through Skype to a domestic number will suck down your minutes just like any other call."
    I don't really care that much about minutes; I don't use mine anyways. What I do wish is that I could use wifi to make a call, which is pretty much the point of Skype for me.

10. Humpa

Humpa Well-Known Member

It does not use minutes when calling a Skype user. But calling a normal US number via Skype is just like calling a normal number from the Phone app - it uses your minutes plan, obviously, otherwise that'd be a pretty big loophole for free calls. :D

11. jfe

jfe Well-Known Member

Half Baked, Half Assed app

Hopefully they will make some improvements

The rate to calling Mexico is the same for Skype as Google Voice, so I get no benefits there

12. modestrock

modestrock Member

God I love how many complainers there are in the smartphone world, like everyone is entitled to everything and it should be free. Why do you think you have a phone/plan? To make calls and communicate via your network.

Why would they allow an application that rendered part of our contracts null and void? Now we just have the option to talk to those on skype in addition to the many other ways of contacting them.

13. barry99705

barry99705 Well-Known Member

No, it should just work like the ****ing desktop app works! It'd be nice to be able to use it over wifi so those of us that travel outside the US can call home with skype on the phone instead of skype on our laptops. That's all I use skype for. I've never called a real phone with it.

jamo likes this.
  14. Durkan

Durkan Well-Known Member

Same here Barry, i only use it when i travel so I can call the usa for free over wifi. And people can call me for free from the usa with a skype number. I just tried calling my skype number from a landline phone and the app running on my droid never rang once. This app is just full of fail..

15. superdorf

Okay... then don't use it...

16. CaliBoyPhillip

CaliBoyPhillip Member

I don't have much to say besides the fact it does not work over wifi is horrible. I hope this gets figured out... I just wish there be an actual skype application soon as I want to get me an EVO.

17. Graz

Graz Well-Known Member

18. superdorf

I don't know what you want "figured out"... verizon and Skype agreed to have the app work this way.

19. Le0_Br4zUc4

Le0_Br4zUc4 Well-Known Member

That's incorrect I was in Brazil a week ago and I was able to use google voice over wifi without problem

20. RandolphNY

RandolphNY Well-Known Member

I am still new with my droid, but when they were talking about Skype, were you thinking video conferencing like you do with the laptop?

I didn't realize until I just tried it, that all you are doing is calling.

Thoughts?

21. jfe

jfe Well-Known Member

How?

Just straight Voice?

22. furat

furat Member

that is nonsense its not only don't work on wifi but it required us to disable it, thats mean if we want 24 hours skype (as they promise) we should disable our wifi 24 hours

23. Humpa

Humpa Well-Known Member

Yeah, I have absolutely no problems with how they've integrated this app and the services it provides. But they need to come up with a fix so people can still use wifi - that's fine if they don't want skype to use data (or wifi data), but they should be able to come up with a way for a user to use wifi still. I leave my wifi off, so I don't care - but lots of people leave their wifi on.

24. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

Google bought up Gizmo5 a while ago. It's been quite long and registration still hasn't opened up over there. That's really all I'm waiting for; Gizmo5 with Sipdroid should work well. Apparently they're working on Gizmo5 integration with Google Voice; it really seems like Google wants to give us the ability to get as many free calls as we can! ;)

EDIT: Hmm, the Skype app says that it currently doesn't work over WiFi. Is that just a useless, fancy word they put in, or does that foreshadow things to come?

25. radikal

radikal Well-Known Member

its the first version of this app, give it time people, rome wasn't built in a day and apps usually aren't perfect as of day 1