1. Hot New Devices! HTC One M9 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | LG G4

Skype on Nexus 5Support

1. xbroogw1

xbroogw1 Well-Known Member

When I try to log onto Skype with my Microsoft Account, it just keeps on going back to the log in screen. It is stuck in a loop and never lets you log on.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, did you manage to fix it?

Advertisement
  2. Omar Days

Omar Days Well-Known Member

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling?
  3. xbroogw1

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling and that seems to have worked.

Thanks.
  4. xbroogw1

Just tried it again and it has the same problem. When you put in your username and password it just takes you back to the log in screen. Looks like it might be a problem with Skype not working with KitKat.

Probably have to wait for an update.
  5. jj14x

jj14x Guides Guide

I don't think it is a skype issue - at least not a common one. I've been using skype almost everyday since I got my N5 - I've rebooted my phone, logged out of skype and logged back in - worked all the time. Only difference is that I don't use my microsoft account, but my skype ID instead.

Is your microsoft account using two factor authentication? if so, you may need an app password.
  6. xbroogw1

I am using my Microsoft account to try and log on. It has worked a few times, but not many. I have been looking at a thread and quite a few people have the same problem. How will I know if my account is using two factor authentication? Also what is an app password?
  7. jj14x

jj14x Guides Guide

If you haven't knowingly set up 2-factor authentication, you don't have it :)

2-factor authentication is additional (optional) security for your hotmail ID (similar to Gmail/dropbox/lastpass/etc optional 2-factor auth).

Basically, once you enable it, you have to download an authentication app (I use the google authenticator from play store), and when you enable the 2-factor auth, it will show a QR code that you scan using this authenticator (or you can enter a numeric code manually). Once this is done, anytime you log into your hotmail account, you will be prompted for a 6 digit code that your authenticator app will generate (this code changes every 'x' seconds or so), in addition to your regular password.
    (you can add trusted devices that will not require this 6 digit code for 30 days)

The idea behind this is that even if somebody can figure out your password (by watching you type, or by installing spyware on your computer, or brute force attack), they still can't access your computer till they have this random 6 digit code (which changes very frequently).

You will be prompted to (and you should) create backup codes in case you lose your phone with the authentication app.

App password - some applications (like outlook client for example) don't permit a user to enter this authentication code - so you generate a password from the hotmail website that will work without the auth code.

You can read more at Two-step verification: FAQ - Microsoft Windows or at https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/180744?hl=en
  8. xbroogw1

Still no joy with this. The same problem keeps occuring.
  9. Gatman

Gatman Well-Known Member

I just went to the Play store and checked the reviews, specifically for users of the Nexus 5. This login problem appears to be widespread on the N5, so I'm guessing you'll need to wait for a software fix.