Skype running in backgroundSupport

Last Updated:

1. ninjakyle

ninjakyle Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Apr 23, 2010
    I check my running services every once and awhile and often, Google Talk and Skype are running.

1. I have never run google talk
    2. I installed Skype so I would have it when I need it but have restarted several times since then and forced it closed.

Why do these programs keep popping up and running? Are they using up memory/battery? Are they showing people that I am available for chatting/talking?

2. barnacles

barnacles Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2010
    I think google talk is simply integrated into the system to always run. Its always running on mine too, and I'm forced to close it out manually whenever I think about it. I'm debating removing it all together if I can pull the apk for later use if needed. Skype I'm not sure about. If you pull up a menu in skype can you "exit" the app? Might be a similar situation to google talk, its staying awake to notify of instant chats
  3. dalidrama

dalidrama Member

Dec 16, 2009
    I have this problem too. I have a few programs (BBC News and SKYPE) that are always running. ALWAYS. I rarely use them but everytime I check my app status or open adv task killer, it says they are open. Why? Is this draining my battery?
  4. Lev16

Lev16 Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2010
    Pretty sure it's not draining your batteries. Linux is a totally different beast. Still trying to figure it out
  5. appleaj

appleaj Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2010
    There's a setting in Skype that lets it autostart when the phone restarts.
  6. spiderplex

spiderplex New Member

Oct 17, 2010
    also having this problem - kill skype with ATK, then immediately check and it has either restarted or it never died - i NEVER use skype - it was installed when i bought the phone - can't even remove it with the app manager .. [very sad]
  7. euph_22

euph_22 Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2010
    Hmmm...not sure it was necessary to revive a post that's been dead for month's longer that most of us have had our incredibles.

But, anyways welcome to the Forums.

Not to answer your... well, I'm going to go with vaguely inquisitive frustrated intershouting.

That will happen. Vzw/HTC installed stuff on the theory that it'd be used. To save time at runtime (as well as cpu resources) it loads some apps/services at boot time, and then caches them in ram for when (if they're called). This is very important if you actually use skype (or cityID for that matter) since the user doesn't want to wait a minute for skype to load to make a call (and wants to receive skype calls without starting it up every time). And for cityid, it's important because if runs if there is an incoming call, and cpu lag/hanging is a really bad thing when you're trying to answer a call.

When it's "running" in the background it isn't actually running, it's just sitting inactive in the memory waiting to be called. It is not using any cpu, and no more battery than if that ram were empty. And the small amount of ram they use will not have an appreciable effect on performance.

So the upshot of all of can't really fix it (without rooting). And by repeatedly killing it, all you are doing is forcing it to respawn, killing your battery. Honestly, I'm going to tell you to just get rid of ATK. It really does more harm than good, and is unnecessary unless your benchmarking, or playing really cpu/memory intense games (but if your are, just buy a psp).

My advice is to just ignore it. There is NO significant difference in battery life, or performance either way (Skype "running" v. not "running" in the background). If it really bothers you, you can root. But that's overkill to solve a non-issue.

One last thing, install System Panel, it's a far better tool for checking system performance and what's going on in the background. It will confirm what I'm telling you that Skype et. al. are NOT using any resources in the background you should care about.

And again, welcome to the forums.
    NightAngel79 likes this.
  8. NightAngel79

NightAngel79 Bounty Hunter Administrator Moderator

May 11, 2010
    +1 to everything euph said. Systempanel FTW!!