Skype Verizon vs. Skype for AndroidGeneral

Last Updated:

1. Peter123

Peter123 Well-Known Member

What is the difference between Skype for Verizon (comes with the phone and Skype for Android that one can download from the market?

2. nickc9.3

nickc9.3 Well-Known Member

Verizon is stupid
  3. dansamy

dansamy Well-Known Member

4. bberryhill0

bberryhill0 Well-Known Member

I think the non-Verizon version is better. Not sure.
    Peter123 likes this.
  5. blackepoxy

blackepoxy Well-Known Member

I don't think you can do video calls on the pre installed Verizon Skype one, you have to DL the one from the market and clear data on the pre installed one.
    I might be wrong but, it might have been updated now to allow you to do so now.
    I use an app called Tango for video calls that works decent.
    Peter123 likes this.
  6. davidchsw

davidchsw Well-Known Member

The Verizon Skype makes you turn off wifi to make a Skype call. The other version does not.
  7. Peter123

Peter123 Well-Known Member

I never noticed that. On the contrary, it seems to me that it uses wifi when it is available. I have Skype version I think this a Verizon version,
    but I can be wrong.

Edit. I guess I was wrong. That version number belongs to the Android Skype....the Verizon Skype version number is 1.6-something...
  8. blackepoxy

blackepoxy Well-Known Member

I use the non Verizon one and it wors very well over wifi...& 3G too. Did a video call today with my f-i-l on his galaxy nexus while my kids were camping with them, both phones on 3g, worked great!!!

I don't mess with any of the Verizon bloatware, and have never even opened any of it, i got An app locking all of it...

BTW, I trashed tango for it...
  9. derrickdroid

derrickdroid Well-Known Member

Usually the non-verizon apps are the better ones because they are getting frequent updates and additions. The verizon apps are 1 time release sorta apps.