1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Skype with skype out on Verizon Droid2

Last Updated:

1. msounhein

msounhein New Member This Topic's Starter

While doing a lot of research on Skype for android I found that Verizon's version used their voice service in order to call a number within the united states. And found that it could not work over WIFI. But here's the interesting thing. I decided to not use that app and install the Skype app from the android market. I have skype out which allows me to call land lines for 2.95 a month within the US. So, while experimenting , I noticed something. For some reason both 3G and wifi were enabled at the same time. I then tried to call a regular number through skype and got the error message "You must use wifi to use skype out in the US". This puzzled me because I thought that on every android phone it would have been disabled by the carrier to allow the use of skype out through the phone. So, I did an experiment. I turned on Airplane mod but then turned on Wifi. When coming out of sleep the phone states "No Service" on the screen. So, am I to assume while using WIFI I can use skype and skype out to decrease the usage of my air minutes? Every other review and document I have seen online points to the fact that when using Skype on your phone it will use your air minutes. What do you guys think?

Advertisement