• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Skype won't receive calls

idoun

Jul 1, 2011
Hi all,

I just opened my LG Optimus V yesterday and am having some problems with Skype. If I am using the phone and the screen is lit then I can receive calls from Skype, but after the phone goes into sleep mode and I try calling Skype it won't pick up. I turned my Wifi to always on. I'd like to be able to receive Skype phone calls at any time, does anyone know why it won't pick up if it isn't active? When I go to the running apps section Skype is listed. Thanks for any help.

Update: It does sometimes pick up when the screen goes dark but only right after it has become inactive. I have not activated the phone with Virgin Mobile and am testing out the Wifi and apps.

It seems to me that the problem could either be with the Wifi turning off (even though its set to always on) or it could be a problem with the Skype for Android. Does anyone know of another app I can use to test the Wifi when the phone goes into sleep mode? I'm not even sure if sleep mode is the right term, but I'm using it to describe when the screen goes black.

Upvote 0
Hi all,

I just opened my LG Optimus V yesterday and am having some problems with Skype. If I am using the phone and the screen is lit then I can receive calls from Skype, but after the phone goes into sleep mode and I try calling Skype it won't pick up. I turned my Wifi to always on. I'd like to be able to receive Skype phone calls at any time, does anyone know why it won't pick up if it isn't active? When I go to the running apps section Skype is listed. Thanks for any help.
Are you using juice defender? If you are it shuts off data and wifi when the screen is off to save battery.

Upvote 0
Update: It does sometimes pick up when the screen goes dark but only right after it has become inactive. I have not activated the phone with Virgin Mobile and am testing out the Wifi and apps.

It seems to me that the problem could either be with the Wifi turning off (even though its set to always on) or it could be a problem with the Skype for Android. Does anyone know of another app I can use to test the Wifi when the phone goes into sleep mode? I'm not even sure if sleep mode is the right term, but I'm using it to describe when the screen goes black.

I use skype on my v daily with no probs. Wifi always on home. Have you tried uninstalling, rebooting, reinstalling? Make sure you aren't killing the app via another program.
And the whole unactivated phone thing - maybe that's the thing, but it doesn't make sense.
I have heard tales of Skype and Droid not playing well together, but have experienced no probs on my end. Perhaps your handset is bad, in which case I'd exchange it while the process is relatively easy.
Good luck.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the responses. The first thing I tried was uninstalling and reinstalling and it did not get better. I don't know what Juice Defender is but I don't think I have it, it didn't show in the running apps section and I just got the phone last week and the only program I've installed is Skype.

I thought it might have something to do with the Skype version so I uninstalled it and put an older version of Skype (1.0.0.984) and now it actually does pick up the calls at any time (have tested it twice so far, one this AM and once just now) but only at the 10th ring and before I can pick up it has already hung up. I am using ring2skype and wonder if this could somehow be the issue, but I would have to buy a skype subscription which I might not use just to test if it works with an online number. I might just try to exchange it and see if another one is any better.

Melissa, are you usually the latest version of skype?

Upvote 0
So I installed Groove IP, my phone was idle overnight, and as soon as I called it it picks up. I wonder if the problem could have somehow been ring2skype? Since Groove IP works, I think I will keep the phone for now. I might test regular skype-skype calls and see how that works.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the responses. The first thing I tried was uninstalling and reinstalling and it did not get better. I don't know what Juice Defender is but I don't think I have it, it didn't show in the running apps section and I just got the phone last week and the only program I've installed is Skype.

I thought it might have something to do with the Skype version so I uninstalled it and put an older version of Skype (1.0.0.984) and now it actually does pick up the calls at any time (have tested it twice so far, one this AM and once just now) but only at the 10th ring and before I can pick up it has already hung up. I am using ring2skype and wonder if this could somehow be the issue, but I would have to buy a skype subscription which I might not use just to test if it works with an online number. I might just try to exchange it and see if another one is any better.

Melissa, are you usually the latest version of skype?
Yes, latest version. Whatever 'ring2skype' is sounds like your culprit - I pay a subscription to skype.

Reactions: Annonymous7
Upvote 0
Hi all,

Hi
Did you fix this as am having the same problem?

Upvote 0
Hi
Did you fix this as am having the same problem?
Hi, answering you and updating others:
Either Skype had a meltdown, or VM pushed something whacky down the pipes- skype log in is now completely not possible on my phone - did hard reset and re-install multiple times. As the call quality had also dropped, and the 3g capability was sparse to non-existent:
I jumped to the $40 plan on Vm. (I also did this in case they decide to grandfather me in when the rates will supposedly rise by the end of the month- there are links for that info on the main forum.)
I have suspended my Skype account at the month's lapse -no point giving them $3 a month for something that doesn't work when I can go $15 and not be hassled.
Hope your issues with the Skype app are restored soon, MP

Upvote 0
yes this is definitely a problem
i did alot of testing and i believe it has something to do with the actual push system from google cloud or whatever.

this really sucks
i bought 2 subsciption for 1 year each with online numbers
well you can call out ok...just cant receive calls when you want...
this is so stupid

go here https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/57416?tstart=0
look at the OP?
:)

Upvote 0
I have had what you symptoms are, the fix is if your in a wifi area that you already have in your connections when the phone goes to sleep it turns off wifi and goes to 3g. When the incoming call happens then the phone (that is connected 3g mode and answering the call) turns off 3g and turns on wifi. Thus disconnecting the incoming call.

Solution is menu/settings/wireless & networks/wi-fi settings/menu key/advanced/wif-fi sleep policy/NEVER

Hope this helps others
Crom

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones