• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Skyrocket and AT&T Note on TMobile LTE?

Thats what's getting me perplexed because T-mobile is merging with metro pcs and they're getting lte from metro pcs . How would they convert it to gsm ? Or is lte universal? :thinking:

LTE is based off of the GSM standard but it uses a different radio interface, so it requires a its own antenna, and so could be added to CDMA phones. Because of this, since T-Mobile and Metro PCS will use the same 1700 Mhz spectrum, their services are compatible.

Upvote 0
I have an AT&T note 2 running on T-Mobile. I've also got the hack working to enable T-Mobile HSPA+ Frequencies (1700/2100 in the AWS band) to work. My understanding is that LTE should work when it comes to T-Mobile.

As I understand it, AT&T LTE is one of two forms. Most of their LTE is 700 MHz on. However, some of it is DC (dual channel) 1700/2100. This is the same frequency T-Mobile is using. Consequently, it should work fine. Since it hasn't lit up in OKC yet, I can't verify that.

note - the Dual channel thing is a technology that allows for better speed without requiring a continuous frequency band. For example, I can't get 2100-2120 Mhz, but I can get 1700-1710Mhz and 2100-2120 Mhz. With DC capabilities, you get the advantages without requiring a continuous range of frequency.

Upvote 0
Thats just how the AWS spectrum is setup 1700MHz for download/2100MHz for the upload. You need both to properly work

I doubt that one is for download and one is for upload as both are the same freq range (5Mhz or 10Mhz). Considering the large amount of traffic is download that would be very inefficient. If it was that way, the download would often get congested and the upload would remain relatively free. This would mean on speed tests one would often see much faster upload speeds than download. That isn't the case.

Upvote 0
For me, if I were to get a 2 I'd just get a TMobile branded one (or international to use AT&T prepaid tablet plans)- I'm looking for a used 1. I really should have bounced on one of those original AT&T Note's I saw for 250. :D

I bought the AT&T N2 because it supports wireless charging accessories while the T-Mobile one doesn't (sort of does with a hardware hack). Plus, I got it Brand New In Box for 550 on Ebay. not a bad deal.

Upvote 0
I doubt that one is for download and one is for upload as both are the same freq range (5Mhz or 10Mhz). Considering the large amount of traffic is download that would be very inefficient. If it was that way, the download would often get congested and the upload would remain relatively free. This would mean on speed tests one would often see much faster upload speeds than download. That isn't the case.

Yes one is upload and one is download. The reason you don't see faster upload speeds is because it is the limitation of the hspa+ technology (~2mbps max upload speeds). That is one of the reason for the move to Lte. It can handle more bandwidth both upstream and downstream.

Reactions: Crashdamage
Upvote 0

Sorry its the other way around 1700 for upload 2100 for download

The AWS band uses*microwave*frequencies*in 2 segments: from 1710-1755*MHz for uplink, and from 2110-2155*MHz for downlink. The service is intended to be used by mobile devices such as wireless phones for mobile data, video, and messaging services. Most manufacturers of smartphone mobile handsets provide versions of their phones that include radios that can communicate using the AWS spectrum. Since for downlink AWS uses a subset of*UMTS frequency B1 (2100MHz)*some UMTS2100 capable handsets do detect AWS networks but cannot register on them due to the difference in uplink frequencies (1710

Upvote 0
Sorry its the other way around 1700 for upload 2100 for download

after looking around for a while, I finally found mention of this on the HSDPA wikipedia page. Strange that there is this limitation on upload speed despite the same amount of bandwidth. Maybe it has to do with packet construction verses de-construction. Maybe construction is more difficult and so the phones can't pack the data as well as the towers. Consequently, slower uploads. Just an educated guess.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones