SLAM CRASH BANG test passed with *flying* colors

Last Updated:

1. mcl1981

mcl1981 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I modified an aviation PDA yoke mount I had to attempt to hold my EVO on my bicycle handle bars. This worked pretty good for the first 20 miles of my trip. Unfortunately, once it got dark it got much harder to see and avoid large bumps. I slammed into a frost heave on the trail going about 15mph.

The EVO jettisoned from it's mount, tried and failed to fly, and slammed into pavement with the top left corner taking the full impact at 15mph from handlebar height and then slid down the path and into the grass.

It took me about 10 minutes with my bike headlight looking for the battery that bounced into the high grass. I found it, popped it back in, booted the phone, and its like nothing happened. There is a small scuff mark in the corner that hit the ground. The rest of the case, the glass, and its general operation were completely unharmed.

I'm impressed. :D

Advertisement
  2. jacker

jacker Well-Known Member

you are so lucky. I wouldn't do that again if I were you.

3. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

+1

I think that sums it up.

4. mcl1981

Yeah, I'm not going to press my luck. It nearly jettisoned ME too. Clearly my timing and my handle bar mount need some modification.

5. DarkManX4lf

DarkManX4lf Well-Known Member

Yeah you were real lucky. I had my evo on my ear and tried to hold it there while getting out of my car and holding other things.... and it fell right onto the concrete floor.... nothing happened to the glass but the back bottom corner of the phone has a serious scuff mark. The sad thing is the next day my seidio hard case was delivered.

6. DeMiNe0

DeMiNe0 Active Member

Did it slide on the glass at all?

7. mcl1981

I believe it slid face down but I have a plastic screen protector on it. The screen protector has a few minor scratches on it however I can't say they came from the slide or from pens and keys. They are very small.

8. Roadblock

Roadblock Well-Known Member

I dropped mine on a concrete parking lot. Hit the corner, bounced and landed on the glass screen. No real damage other then an unsightly ding on the corner it landed on.

That said, I've had ZERO issues with mine so far. No light leakage, no nothing really unless you count shitty battery life but that seems to have been ironed out with Fresh Rom 0.3 and the Radio update...

9. sag7392

sag7392 Well-Known Member

I dropped mine yesterday while taking pics. It was a very short drop (I was kneeling) and she hit the concrete and slid about a foot screen side down. Thank God I have a Seidio case and screen protector on her. She didn't have any marks and worked liked a charm.

10. mcl1981

I'm fairly confident my glass won't have the detatchment problem that some are reporting. If it didn't detatch from this, it never will!

misterzeno likes this.