SLCD or AMOLED? HBOOT is 0.80

Last Updated:

1. casework

casework New Member This Topic's Starter

Hello all,

I have a T-mobile UK Desire which arrived on 30th July.

I'd like to root it and load froyo but I'm baffled as to which process to use:

I have 0.80. Turned on the phone while holding back button which gave these details:

BRAVO PVT1 SHIP S-ON
    HBOOT-0.80.0000
    MICROP 031d
    TOUCH PANEL-SYNT0101
    RADIO-4.06.00.02_2
    Mar 29 2010, 21:34:33

I don't have access to the packaging but I'm fairly sure it said 3.7 Touch Senstive Screen (no mention of AMOLED). I've tried having a look at the black hue the screen displays but this just confused me since I don't really know what im looking for / got nothing to compare it to.

This post has confused me further:
    "SLCD will NOT work on HBOOT 0.80" lollylost100 Senior Member
    [FAQ] HBOOT 0.83 / 0.92 / SLCD - rooting and recovery - xda-developers

Was 'lollylost100' correct and I DEFINETLY have AMOLED just because of the HBOOT version? Or is it possible to have 0.80 + SLCD?

All help is appreciated & apologies if this is a newb question.

Andy

Advertisement
  2. teppic74

teppic74 Well-Known Member

The hboot version doesn't tell you which type of screen you have.

If you want to root there isn't much to worry about, as long as you're using unrevoked3. All roms based on froyo support both kind of screens.

anoniemouse likes this.
  3. anoniemouse

anoniemouse Well-Known Member

That's handy to know, at least anyone wanting to root not having to worry about screen type anymore.

4. teppic74

An updated image is still required for custom recovery, but that will work with both screen types. The bootloader doesn't matter for rooting.

5. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

if it doesnt mention amoled on the box its likely to be scld. Another way to test is to look at the phone at an acute angle with a black image on the screen, if it stays black its amoled, if it goes a bit grey its slcd

This guide will let you root with an slcd screen Phone Guide: How To Root The HTC Desire - Droid Den

6. casework

Thanks very much for the replies everyone.

I compared my screen to an AMOLED one in a shop quickly and they looked very similar - I couldn't see anything different.

But in a pitch black room using 'Screen Test' app from the market set to a black screen, there is definitely a difference between the black hue screen and the screen being turned off.

All this serves to confuse me even more lol

Just to clarify the message from teppic74; If i root with unrevoked3 it shouldn't matter if I have SLCD or AMOLED?

Thanks guys.

7. teppic74

The new version of unrevoked3 supports both screens, so you don't need to worry.

8. casework

Thanks for the help everyone.

Successfully rooted & tried modaco, cyanogen and defrost before settling on cyanogen6.

tempted to return to defrost for the 1.3Ghz overclock but I guess that's for another thread.. :cool: