SLED Vs AMOLED?General

Last Updated:

1. bonerp

bonerp Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Whats the difference between the HD and desire?

Also wonder how the smaller HD battery stands up with a larger screen? Is SLED more battery friendly? I realise the chipset is supposed to be more efficient but in reality...I wonder.

Advertisement
  2. NZtechfreak

NZtechfreak Well-Known Member

They claim that SLCD is more battery efficient than S-AMOLED, but real world testing is showing the opposite.

The main advantage is not having pentile subpixel matrix, so the display is clearer (most noticeable when viewing text).

Apparently its viewing angles are better in one direction (vertical I think), and S-AMOLED is better in the opposite. Moot point really, since you wouldn't ever really use your device at angles that acute in either direction in any case.

Its blacks are respectable, although not quite S-AMOLED quality.

Colour reproduction is better, although some people (myself included) prefer the super saturated colours of AMOLED screens

Touch response is probably inferior, since the reduced layers in S-AMOLED is one of the key advances of the touch response available in those screens.

Other differences:

HD has:

More RAM (768MB)

A similar CPU (both based on 45nm tech for battery conservation)

An inferior GPU (41m triangles/sec Vs 90m/sec in the Galaxy S - the former number is direct from Qualcom)

1.5GB of internal memory (? unknown how much free for app installation) Vs 8/16GB in the GS (which has 1.8GB of memory for app installation)

No doubt a better file system and much better speed of operation in general use

Sense UI Vs TouchWiz

No TV Out via cable

An 8mp camera with dual LED flash and 720P video capture Vs 5mp with no flash and 720P video capture (and despite that I'm sure its images and video will almost always be worse than those on the GS, given HTCs history where imaging is concerned, and having looked at the camera samples from their other 8mp handsets).

Less audio and video codec support

Probably a few other differences which aren't springing to mind right this second...

Alonzzo2 likes this.
  3. TNwainwright

TNwainwright Well-Known Member

Firstly the claim is that S-LCD is more battery efficient than AMOLED not S-AMOLED (which is supposed to be more battery efficient than AMOLED, not ssure anyone has tested this)

Assuming you are referring to the Engadget test, they tested both devices on video playback, since videos tend to be darker than many other uses of a phone, the AMOLED has a strong advantage here as when displaying black it simply turns off the pixel. However in order to display white an AMOLED takes three times as much power as a regular LCD (not even accounting for S-LCD) so in what I would call real world usage (browsing, app usage and texting for example) which tend to use brighter colours and more whites it is likely that S-LCD (possibly even regular LCD) will be more efficiant.

Also he is asking for what is different between the Desire and Desire HD I believe not the Desire and Galaxy S, so S-LCD vs AMOLED not S-LCD vs Super AMOLED.

Desire HD has more Ram, a bigger screen, higher Megapixel (could be better could not be, mexapixels arn't everythig) A better 45nm processor with a far better GPU, upgraded sense. More onboard memory (1.5gb), Unibody Aluminium design.

4. stew007

stew007 Member

Which is better in direct sunlight, s-LCD or S-amoled?

5. TNwainwright

I'm not sure, but my money would be on the S-lcd. Super-Amoled is supposed to be better than Amoled in sunlight visibility but tests against the Iphone 4 (TFT LCD) showed the Iphone 4 outperforming it by a little.

EDIT: Just remembered the IPhone 4 supposedly uses a similar method of reducing the distance between the glass panel and the display that is supposed to be the key difference between AMOLED and S-AMOLED and the reason it gets better visibility in sunlight. That might be the reason why the I-phone 4 outperforms it since it has less glass in the way + the regular advantage of LCD.

6. Eat_My_Brains

Eat_My_Brains Member

7. stew007

stew007 Member

I just looked at this comparison and here the slcd on the x10 clearly is better in sunlight, hmm for me as an outdoorsy type, I think this phone may well fit the bill perfectly, YouTube - Galaxy S vs X10 vs Desire in direct sunlight

So just to confirm the Desire HD actually is Super LCD?

8. NZtechfreak

Heh :) Totally missed that it wasn't an HD-GS comparison!

Regards the 3D benchmarking - that score is very encouraging, means I shouldn't have to worry about 3D gaming on the HD (and one less reason to stay with my GS).

9. TNwainwright

10. bonerp

thanks all - just pre-ordered the HD on handtec where I bought my desire.

11. SupremeBeaver

SupremeBeaver Well-Known Member

12. TNwainwright

I've been following this, lots of people are stating as fact what at the moment is only a series of conflicting reports. Could be true could be false. Like you say though, not a dealbreaker.

13. stew007

stew007 Member

I've pre ordered this handset, on the basis it is super LCD, I really need it to be readable in direct sunlight, thats the critical part for me, especially maps etc.

Also you would think that with a 4.3" screen and a 1200mah cell the battery life would be horrendous if it actually were normal LCD, surley it must be slcd?

This list of specs which looks to be copied from an HTC source clearly states slcd HTC Desire HD With 4.3′ Super LCD | All About Mobile - Nokia | iPhone | Samsung | HTC | Android

Edit:

straight from the horses mouth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7hL3smq8t0

14. t0Msha

t0Msha Well-Known Member

really seems washed out compared to desire z:

LINK

Eazail70x7 likes this.
  15. Eazail70x7

Eazail70x7 Well-Known Member

I think the desire hd has the same screen as the evo based off of what I've seen thus far

16. stew007

stew007 Member

My guess is the screen is slcd, but the backlight is probably less lumins per sq/inch than the Z model, probably for the sake of power consumption. Plenty bright for me though, cant wait to get my hands on this one!

17. doonie

doonie Member

bonerp and stew, where did you pre order from? I keep looking at different deals and can't decide which to go for!!!! Please help, want to get my order in so I don't end up waiting for ages.
    Need to be able to show off to my friends lol

18. stew007

stew007 Member

I ordered mine from Clove, they seem good guys to deal with, very quick on the email, but slightly dearer than the likes of Handtec, but bear in mind cloves deal comes with an 8gb micro sd so all in all not too bad.

doonie likes this.
  19. NZtechfreak

Hmmn, looks increasingly like the screen is not in fact S-LCD - HTC have changed the official specs sheet at their site and pulled the video where it was stated its S-LCD...

20. drone3

drone3 New Member

If it was S-lcd, it would have said it loud and clear. It's a regular lcd, like the evo.

Does anyone know if the hd's resolution can be increased with the future release of Gingerbread?

Is resolution based on hardware or software? or both?

thanks in advance.

21. bonerp

Ordered mine from Handtec - just because I ordered my desire from them and it arrived in the first batch. Good service. Price is similar all over give or take

doonie likes this.
  22. SupremeBeaver

SupremeBeaver Well-Known Member

its hardware, so no resolution increase with Gingerbread. Not that it's bad as it is.

drone3 likes this.
  23. jim2point0

jim2point0 Well-Known Member

24. chobits

chobits New Member

It seems that the HD will have the regular LCD instead of the S-LCD after a long review of many many many different sites.

It's so confusing since some stated HD has SLCD,and some said LCD

kungura likes this.
  25. redshark313

redshark313 Active Member

Notice the official htc.com site does not state display type at all. Hhmmm, bit disappointed would have preferred knowing it has S-LCD.

kungura likes this.