• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Sleep mode issue with Thrive. UPDATE: Sent PM to Tosh rep- link included

rushmore

Extreme Android User
Nov 13, 2008
Kentucky
UPDATE: The Toshiba forums have a rep that is working on this issue. I sent him a PM (he is asking all folks with the issue to do so). Go to post 10:

Thrive not waking from Stand By - requires reboot - Toshiba Forums

End update

I have seen posts about this in other forums and I am having it as well. It is hit and miss if the device comes out of sleep mode and just happened again.

Pressing the power button sometimes does not wake the device up and you have to hold the power down to shut off and then restart. This has happened three times so far. Besides this issue (and the stiff power button), the Thrive has been outstanding.

Anybody have a fix, besides returning this fine device? I did the update that was released.

Update: It is now having the issue all the time. I have tried four times now and still not coming out of sleep, forcing me to hold the power down to shut off and then restart.

Mega bummer, since besides this issue, the Thrive rocks.

Update 2: Now working again, but nothing I did to fix. Seems a random issue.

Ironic: The the A500 will not stay asleep and the Thrive will not wake up. Both great devices besides this.

I just mentioned in another thread that I haven't had this happen yet in the three days I've had the thrive. I did notice another poster elsewhere recommending that you turn it off and take the battery out and then plug in and replace the battery while the unit is on (I think that's the sequence anyway). Not sure if that trick is verified but it's free to find out I suppose.

Upvote 0
I tried the steps you mention, but like most others that have also tried, it did not work. The Thrive more times than not, does not come out of sleep mode.

My Thrive also does not turn off unless holding the power button down for five seconds. The normal power off results in a "shutting down" notification, but does not shut down.

If no solution happens in the next week, I will return the Thrive. Seems I may end up with a Transformer after all, since does not have the sleep issues like the A500 and Thrive.

Upvote 0
the solution for now is simple: never allow it to go to sleep.

I wonder if you can press the power button and shut down the screen like my Archos 70 on thrive. This will prolong the battery life.

Leaving the display on 24/7 is extreme for obvious reasons... I hope you were joking.....

Still not seeing how this got missed by Toshiba devs. I love the connectivity, but may forget that for stability with the Transformer.

The problem is very common, so hopefully they fix it fast.... Less than 12 days fast.

Upvote 0
Leaving the display on 24/7 is extreme for obvious reasons... I hope you were joking.....

Still not seeing how this got missed by Toshiba devs. I love the connectivity, but may forget that for stability with the Transformer.

The problem is very common, so hopefully they fix it fast.... Less than 12 days fast.

Like I said, can you just turn off the screen and not put it in sleep mode?

Upvote 0
I was having an issue where the power light does not go into pulsating mode when put into sleep and the battery would drain. But turned off the email notifications and that seemed to fix the issue. Perhaps the notifications were preventing it from sleeping? I do not have an issue of waking the unit up as described here, but thought this might help. Can't love the Thrive enough, but if this small issue isn't resolved, I may reluctantly return it.

Upvote 0
I would like to know why my luck has sucked with the last three Android devices. My first devices all had qwirks (all do), but did not have failures like the current ones. G1, Droid1, Incredible and gTablet all worked fine (Inc and gTablet still do), but my recent devices all have had return worthy issues:

My last three devices:

1. A500 = Screen-on. It woke out of sleep mode and would not go off unless the power button was pressed- big bummer for battery (I had two like that).

2. DX2 = Lag, audio pops and random reboots

3. Thrive = Power button rarely turns the display back on. Full shut down required.

All three devices have common and well documented issues and all tested at stock just to see if user apps cause the issues. Same results at stock.

Like the A500, the Thrive is a solid device, but better, due to better display, full sd slot, better built in file manager, battery and a usb port not placed where the hands usually hold the device (here that Acer?).

Bummer it is. Will return today, since powering off and turning the device back on almost EVERY time when the display goes off is lame and leaving it on sucks too much battery (obviously).

If the issue is fixed, I will buy another- if I have not already bought a 32gb Transformer. This issue has to be hurting the launch, since is a common issue.

Added: The one thing that keeps from the Transformer is I HATE having to use special cables. The lack of any form of USB connection seems lame, but by design (ASUS wants you to buy the keyboard).

Upvote 0
Just to let you guys know. i just spoke with Mark at Toshiba tech support and he told me that this SOD issue is a software problem on Android Honeycomb's end. He said thaye are currently coordinating with Android to reolve the issue befroe the end of this month. He also said they are open 24 hours, so if I had any more question i could also call back.

Upvote 0
I have the same issue. I have to power off and on just like you. There are times that it works but more often than not it does no. Bummer!

I ordered another Thrive today, due to the Staples $50 off coupon (ended today). The Thrive will be great once the issue is fixed. My 14 day return window will not kick in until the Thrive is delivered around the 25th, so should be a good window of time to see if the sleep bug is zapped.

Got the 16gb this time instead of the 32gb. I will use the difference saved to buy a 64gb SDXC card.

Upvote 0
I purchased the 8GB model from Newegg and I applied the update immediately so I didn't experience the wake/reboot issues prior to updating.

The wake/reboot issue has only worsened. I can't power the screen off without having to reboot it. I've tried all the remedies mentioned in the Toshiba forums and nothing has helped. It reboots frequently when simply asleep as well. I don't believe it is an offending widget or app but simply some kind of hardware / software 'confliction' (yes I know that's not a word...but it seems appropriate).

I love the tablet and all the versatility it has to offer but the necessity to reboot the tablet each time I wish to use it is unacceptable. I may return it to Newegg.

I've called Toshiba and voiced the concern as well as participated in the Toshiba forums. An admin named "Jim" has asked all tablet owners who experience this issue to PM him. I strongly suggest all who experience it do the same so as increase the odds that we'll see an update sooner.

Here's to you Toshiba Thrive!

Jared

Upvote 0
I purchased the 8GB model from Newegg and I applied the update immediately so I didn't experience the wake/reboot issues prior to updating.

The wake/reboot issue has only worsened. I can't power the screen off without having to reboot it. I've tried all the remedies mentioned in the Toshiba forums and nothing has helped. It reboots frequently when simply asleep as well. I don't believe it is an offending widget or app but simply some kind of hardware / software 'confliction' (yes I know that's not a word...but it seems appropriate).

I love the tablet and all the versatility it has to offer but the necessity to reboot the tablet each time I wish to use it is unacceptable. I may return it to Newegg.

I've called Toshiba and voiced the concern as well as participated in the Toshiba forums. An admin named "Jim" has asked all tablet owners who experience this issue to PM him. I strongly suggest all who experience it do the same so as increase the odds that we'll see an update sooner.

Here's to you Toshiba Thrive!

Jared
Yup I went there. One of the proposed solution was NOT TO TURN OFF WIFI. It looks like this one is working for me. Since this afternoon, I have been able to wake up the unit with the power button. The longest was like 4 hours while I went out. I'll leave tonite unplugged from power supply and see what happens tomorrow. Only issue is battery drains faster.

Upvote 0
Yup I went there. One of the proposed solution was NOT TO TURN OFF WIFI. It looks like this one is working for me. Since this afternoon, I have been able to wake up the unit with the power button. The longest was like 4 hours while I went out. I'll leave tonite unplugged from power supply and see what happens tomorrow. Only issue is battery drains faster.
So far so good. 8 hours in sleep mode and had no problems waking the unit up. Battery ended up 92% (from 100%).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones