• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

sleep time, push email and Wi-Fi use

devswap

Dec 26, 2012
I am getting an S4 soon and keen to get the best battery life I can. I currently have an iPhone which I have 4 google push email accounts added. It's normally on Wi-Fi at work and home and on 3g the rest of the time. I wondered the best setup on Android. Should I set it up exactly the same or would you recommend a different setup? I currently use juice defender on my tablet to switch the Wi-Fi off when the screen is off - should I do the same on the S4 or do you think 3g should be switched off when the screen is off. Maybe use tasker to disable 3g when Wi-Fi is connected or do you think this saving would be minimal

Any advice welcome

I am getting an S4 soon and keen to get the best battery life I can. I currently have an iPhone which I have 4 google push email accounts added. It's normally on Wi-Fi at work and home and on 3g the rest of the time. I wondered the best setup on Android. Should I set it up exactly the same or would you recommend a different setup? I currently use juice defender on my tablet to switch the Wi-Fi off when the screen is off - should I do the same on the S4 or do you think 3g should be switched off when the screen is off. Maybe use tasker to disable 3g when Wi-Fi is connected or do you think this saving would be minimal

Any advice welcome

FYI, once you move to a new device you will not be able to use GMAIL as in a quasi-push mode (it was never truly push in the sense of an activesync account) unless you use the GMAIL client - which I personally think of as crappy. I hate the GMAIL app and vastly prefer Samsung's own email client.

I wound up forwarding my personal mail to outlook.com as a result.

Also, remember that S4 is an LTE device. So, you don't generally want to have phone on 3G - you want it on LTE.

I wouldn't mess with juice defender, which tends to cause more problems than it solves. Leave WiFi on and LTE on all the time. The phone will use WiFI for data when it can, and it will use LTE when you are out of range.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones