• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Slew of build prop tweaks!

CrimsonToker

Android Expert
Jul 4, 2014
Humboldt County, U.S.A.
I found a post on xma developers. It claims these are for galaxy s5 but i have most of them in place right now, and my phone is performing better than ever!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s5/themes-apps/build-prop-tweaks-t2836863

The following is a list of what i have tried on the Volt with great affect:

#Rendering
#Battery
#Boot
#Ram
#Smooth UI
#Net browsing speeds
#Video streaming
#3G signal

I haven't tried any of the other tweaks yet, but was thinking of testing out the call quality and photo/video quality, among others, when i get a motivated minute. Hope this helps some people out!

I found a post on xma developers. It claims these are for galaxy s5 but i have most of them in place right now, and my phone is performing better than ever!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s5/themes-apps/build-prop-tweaks-t2836863

The following is a list of what i have tried on the Volt with great affect:

#Rendering
#Battery
#Boot
#Ram
#Smooth UI
#Net browsing speeds
#Video streaming
#3G signal

I haven't tried any of the other tweaks yet, but was thinking of testing out the call quality and photo/video quality, among others, when i get a motivated minute. Hope this helps some people out!
This is great, thank you!!

Reactions: CrimsonToker
Upvote 0
Shoot, i messed up my build prop, though not from these. I was playing with x blast tools. I backed up my prop before hand but when i went to restore the back up was gone. So far as i can tell, however, the only thing affected is Google play store, though that means probably all of Google services..

I undid the changes as soon as i noticed the play store not working, but it's still down. Am i boned? :(

Upvote 0
Flash the latest 4.4.2 gapps and then supersu in cwm or twrp then clear cache & dalvik and it will fix it, I just faced this myself not long ago
I wish i had seen this an hour ago lol. I just reinstalled the modded z4, tried to use flashify to install supersu.zip but it didnt work. I thought that was how i did it before.. so from this point, how do i regain root?

EDIT: so i figured it out. I installed supersu from recovery and now im good. And in all this, i have finally learned an important lesson: before playing with important files, back them up. Then back up the back up lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Sands207
Upvote 0
Definitely interested! Let me know how it goes. Btw, whats a good way to backup the build prop? I have build prop editor installed from the play store, but thats what lost my back up before, causing me to reflash z4
I just copied it to my SD card before messing with anything. Usually you can just make a copy and add '.bak' to the end if you want to keep it in the same location.

Reactions: CrimsonToker
Upvote 0
Here's a video. The main things to notice is how quickly apps open and the fact that even without the launcher set to stay in memory, it never gets bumped out, which would be indicated by the app drawer having to reload, or delay in apps closing. Also, that fact that this was all done with the recording app running in the background. :)
I didn't download anything in the video, but downloads also seem to be going a bit faster.
There's also less lag in screen rotating.
I flashed this last night too, my phone is working much better :) do you think if we were running cm 11 or 12 and flashed this it would do damage? I don't think it would but was just wondering what you thought?

Upvote 0
I flashed this last night too, my phone is working much better :) do you think if we were running cm 11 or 12 and flashed this it would do damage? I don't think it would but was just wondering what you thought?
No, I don't think so...I don't know exactly what all it does (which made me a little nervous about it), but it seems to mainly be just a bunch of build.prop edits and maybe some services to support those edits. Since it's safe for any phone, I would think it would be safe for any ROM.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sands207
Upvote 0
I found this looking into build prop tweaks that are universally applicable.
It also shows how to enable init.d, which if you're just running donjuro's ROM, it's not enabled and is needed for this package.
I've installed it, and things do seems smoother. Time will tell how much smoother.
If it seems significant, I will make a quick video to demonstrate if anyone's interested. :)

http://www.theandroidhow.com/2014/06/performance-and-battery-tweak-all-android.html
So did you only flash this? Or did you first add some of the build prop tweaks from the list above?

Upvote 0
Is forcing the launcher to stay in memory a feature of your launcher or is that something that can be done with any launcher?
Most third party launchers do, at least all the ones I've seen. It's usually called 'keep in memory'. I think it basically raises the priority of the process (or reduces its niceness) so the system doesn't knock it out unless it absolutely has to.

Attachments

• 1420909822630.jpg
    1420909822630.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 66
Upvote 0
Hey, I somehow overlooked this the other day, sorry!
I only flashed this. Had to do the init.d bit too first.
No worries, and thanks for the reply! Would you say you have better results from this than from playing with build prop yourself like i have? I have a fresh build prop still at the moment, might try this install instead this time..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones