• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

SlideIT for Android

Actually, it is swype... just not the brand Swype. It's kind of like when people call any 4x4 a jeep... and it is, but it's not a Jeep (notice the capital to show I'm talking about the brand).

Swype is basically the name for the technology. Anyways, there's another keyboard called "ShapeWriter" in the Marketplace that uses the same exact technology.. there's a 30 day trial as well. Has nobody heard of it? I have been using it for some time now.

Upvote 0
I prefer the Slide Keyboard by koku myself. Basically for each button/key you have up to 5 choices and you slide the key in the direction of the letter/number/symbol you want. This makes the buttons much bigger and so more accurate. It takes some time getting used to though. You also need to download a dictionary if you want the word suggestions. This part could stand to be updated a bit but it's all free.

Here are some key features of "Slide Keyboard":

Reactions: kingsqueak
Upvote 0
I'm trying this out. I gotta say so far I like it better than both shapewriter and swype.

Why? I haven't tried Swype (the company says the versions floating around now were leaked against their wishes), but I've been using ShapeWriter for a month now and the new version (3.0.0) that was just released a few days ago seems very good. They've fixed some bugs, and I'm finding that I'm making very few mistakes with it any more.

Upvote 0
The reason I like it better is simple, I get more accurate results when typing than the other two. Maybe it's my style of sliding my finger across the screen to the letters that lends itself to more accurate results with SlideIT but I find myself having to correct what I'm trying to type WAY less than I do with either Swype and Shapewriter.

So far I've simply been able to type what I want faster with less corrections with it so far, and that's all I really ask of a keyboard. Time will tell if I find other aspects of it that are hard to deal with. One I know of already is I can't figure out how to not get it to capitalize the first letter without changing it to the standard keyboard and I wish they'd swap the comma and period.

Edit: I will say I didn't try out the new release of shapewriter but I really hated the layout of some of the keys.

Upvote 0
Based on your comments, I installed SlideIT and gave it a five-minute trial run. I have to say that I like it a lot. It does seem to require fewer corrections than ShapeWriter. It also has many more symbols and the ability to define abbreviations. I'm definitely going to give it an extended trial.

As for the capitalization, there's a configuration option to control automatic capitalization (via the "Options" key on the symbol keyboard). If you turn it off, you just have to hit the "Shift" key before tracing a shape and the first letter of the word will be capitalized. That's definitely the mode I'm going to use, since the automatic capitalization seems to get confused fairly easily.

Thanks for the recommendation!

Upvote 0
I wonder what they are going to charge for the paid version of this. The one that is currently available is nagware -- every so often it pops up a little dialog prompting you to buy it, but the paid version isn't in the market yet. Looking on their site, it appears that the Windows Mobile version is $15. That's kind of pricey for me -- not that it isn't a very good product, but in my experience ShapeWriter is nearly as good and I got that for free during their promotional period, so I'm not sure the delta is worth $15 to me. If they priced it at $5, I wouldn't hesitate.

Upvote 0
Swype is basically the name for the technology.
First the technology was referred to as "Shark". Then later, it was called "Shape writing technology". Then the Shapewriter software was part of the Google Android Developer Challenge in 2008. Now in 2009/2010, Swype and SlideIt are out and the technology is now called "Swype". In how many ways does referring to shape writing technology as Swype seem problematic?

Upvote 0
I really liked swype but it seemed like after a few weeks it would stop working. like it was eating memory and reaches a point where it stops. I say this because it was consistent in it's failing. About two weeks into using it and when it came time to respond to someone I would press on the text area and nothing would happen. Long press to change input type only pissed it off more.

Upvote 0
I'm in the same boat, I tried out Swype (which is pretty accurate but has it's own deficiencies, plus it's technically illegal to use it), and Shapewriter again, but I keep going back to SlideIT. I think it needs a few more enhancements and to maybe get a bit cheaper before I purchase it.

I think the UI needs a few improvements, at least on the Nexus1 the resolution is pretty bad, especially in landscape mode (though I rarely use landscape as it's much more difficult for "sliding"). Also I think there needs to be some long press abilities to bring up question marks, etc. Having to go into another screen for anything besides comma and period is a bit annoying.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones