• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

SlideIT for Android

I like SlideIT. Been using it for a few days now. Noticed some strange behavior when switching from Portrait to Landscape mode on my EVO but it is not consistent, it locked up my Launcher Pro for some reason once, at other times it appears very sluggish after making the switch (portrait <-> landscape), although it could be Pandora causing the problem. I use landscape mode almost exclusively to get the biggest keyboard.

I strongly dislike the way SlideIT takes over the forms in landscape mode. In landscape mode the keyboard is so big it leaves very little space for the form (I do prefer the big keyboard). They have placed Next/Done button to move to the next form field. I don't want to use the Next button to do this operation. I would rather hide the keyboard, select the new field and keep moving. Supposed there are fields I do not want to fill out, I have to hit the Next key to move over them. Very Annoying! :mad: It badly needs:

1. Hide keyboard button
2. Easier access to the arrow keys for quick minor corrections.

The stock HTC keyboard is ok but SlideIT is faster and easier. I am currently using the demo.

Do the developers read this??

Does anybody know how to work around these issues??

Upvote 0
Where are words stored that are added when using SlideIT? They're not in Android's User Dictionary (Settings > Language & Keyboard > Touch Input > User Dictionary) and I can't see an equivalent dictionary in SlideIT's settings.

I've checked the manual, but when I slide over the letters to create the jumble of letters I saved, it doesn't give me a - sign to be able to delete it.

http://www.mobiletextinput.com/Product/SlideIT/Manual/Pdf/SlideIT_UserGuide[English].pdf

Edit:

No matter what I did, I couldn't get it to display a - sign next to the word I wanted it to delete, so I had to go to Manage Apps and clear SlideIT's data to fix it. I'm surprised it doesn't add them to the Android User Dictionary so new words are there when/if you revert to the standard touch keyboard.

Upvote 0
I noticed SlideIT has a constant running service and since installing it my battery is getting hammered. I will keep an eye on it, but if it continues I will uninstall SlideIT, because as much as I like it I would rather have better battery performance.

According to the Watchdog program on my phone, the SlideIt service is using 0.00% of the CPU while I am not using SlideIt. Looks like a well designed program.

Upvote 0
Been using SlideIt for quite a while, comparing to Swype it's a bit more functional but I'd like a speed to accuracy option because half the time I get words that aren't even close to what I was sliding through, the recent Swype's beta was worse though. For now I went back to Smart Keyboard pro, among the best word prediction so far.

Upvote 0
Yes, and I like it a lot. They've added a long-press capability to the keys on the main keypad to access the numbers and most punctuation characters, so there's a lot less need to switch to the alternate keypad. If you long-press a character with accented variants, like 'e', you'll get the alternate symbol (in this case, a 3) immediately inserted, but all the accented variants will show up in the suggestions bar, which I think is much more convenient than Swype's extra-long-press and popup approach. There's also a full emoticon keypad, which is handy.

They've also added some new ways of combining tapping, sliding, and prediction, but I haven't played around with those to see how they work.

With these changes, it's now my keyboard of choice, even though there are still a few things I like better about Swype.

Upvote 0
I'm currently using SlideIT v3.0 on my HTC Desire with Android 2.2 and have noticed it has two running services, one is the keyboard iteself, but the other is ServiceUpdate and I have no idea what it's for. It doesn't break SlideIt when I end it, but it does come back again. Does anyone know what this serivce is?

Upvote 0
Just FYI to those that own SlideIT or thinking about it, it's now skinnable and the teal blue skin looks real nice and the letters really stand out, and prediction seems more accurate.
ScreenShot.png

Upvote 0
Overall, I think I like this keyboard. I'm coming over from Smart Keyboard Pro.

I have a few questions:

1. Is it possible to edit the dictionary in case you've accidentally added a misspelled word?
  2. Is it possible to backup/restore custom shortcuts like you can with the dictionary?
  3. Is it possible to hide the language key and make the space bar wider if you are only using one language?
  4. Is there a way to make one letter shortcuts like u -> you?

Upvote 0
Actually, it is swype... just not the brand Swype. It's kind of like when people call any 4x4 a jeep... and it is, but it's not a Jeep (notice the capital to show I'm talking about the brand).

Swype is basically the name for the technology. Anyways, there's another keyboard called "ShapeWriter" in the Marketplace that uses the same exact technology.. there's a 30 day trial as well. Has nobody heard of it? I have been using it for some time now.

Swipe means "to steal." Swipe a car. Swipe his keys et cetera.
It has been changed to mean use a magnetic card reader.:D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones