• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

SlideIT Keyboard Lite: An solid and underrated alternative to Swype

80cent

I was denied the Swype Beta and looking for alternatives. Right off the bat I was shocked at how accurate it was.

While Swype may get the attention due to having a better name and superior marketing, SlideIT is not messing around with usability.

It takes about 10-20 texts before you feel confident with the sliding motion, but at that point you will be noticeably faster at one handed texting than you were with two hands.

Now that I've tried the Swype Beta, I feel that SlideIT is better. Why? Because if you enter a word that SlideIT is unsure of it lists options just under your text field just like Android stock keyboard would.

Swype, however has a pop up that blocks your screen, forcing you to select one of the words they thought you were trying for. This slows down the process badly, and I feel defeats the purpose of having a high speed keyboard.

While perhaps not as pretty or popular, SlideIT keyboard is a nice Betty to Swype's Veronica.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones