1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

slideIT vs swype

Last Updated:

1. gezzuzz

gezzuzz Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

will i started with slideIT.. then switched to swype...

IMO slideIT is so much better..

i find it find my words better,,,
    deals with double letter better..
    i like how you can go back and it resuggests the word..
    i like how it puts a word on the line you are typing.. you dont have to look up to see if it guessed the right word..
    it puts a space before the word not after.. helpful when you forget to put a suffix like -s -ed -ing

they just did a update and its looks better then it did before..

what makes swype so good?
    i see it deals with names better

Advertisement
  2. jwmacdon1231

jwmacdon1231 Well-Known Member

It's really a matter of preference. I used both, and liked them both. I just had more bugs with slideit than with swype. They're both great pieces of work. Plus there are custom themes of swype you can get. I'm not sure if slideit does.

3. seigex

seigex Well-Known Member

I haven't used either of those but I swear by shape writer... took a few days to get used to but I have no problems.. and if I get the word wrong it usually pops up as the first or second choice to change it and i just tap it and I'm good to go....

unfortuantely they took it off the android market "indefinitely"

4. rjjr2531

rjjr2531 Well-Known Member

Just switched from shape writer to swype. Swype is better in the accuracy, but shape writer had a much brr ten key...I'm going to try slide it now, but I feel swype is the way to go...

5. igzekyativ

igzekyativ Well-Known Member

i would love swype or slideIT if they had arrow keys and .com buttons :(

6. vokilos

vokilos Active Member

swype does have arrow keys, just swype from the bottom left corner onto "SYM" and you get arrow keys and a bunch more. no idea if there is something like that for slide it.

Girevik, Evo 5oh, JackT and 3 others like this.
  7. igzekyativ

igzekyativ Well-Known Member

wow, a secret page.. anything else i should know?!

8. ballr4lyf

ballr4lyf Well-Known Member

LOL, try swyping from the swype symbol the the 'f' (number 5) on the keyboard.

JackT and ejchis like this.
  9. ejchis

ejchis Well-Known Member

I started on ShapreWriter and made the switch to SlideIt after comparing the two. I thought SlideIt was a significant improvement. Last week, I made the switch from SlideIt to Swype and have found Swype to be much easier to use and more intuitive. Things like double caps and repeated letters are much easier in Swype, at least I found them to be. And it's nice to have the option to long press in order to delete a single word or tap to delete single characters. And swiping above the keyboard to get capital letters as well as swiping punctuation to space to get, obviously, punctuation and space are really handy shortcuts once you get used to them.

10. dan55

dan55 Well-Known Member

hi guys,
    this might be a bit of an old thread, but in the interest of recycling ;)

i started off with swype and thought it was very good - but issue with it for me is that it doesnt have uk english, and that you have to keep reselectng the same words over and over - plus you cant delete the rubbish words it adds to the db

slideit look good at first - better word guessing and quicker - but after a while it appears that it is less accurate with the key selection i think

so might be back to swype soon maybe - plus it is free ;)

cheers
    dan

11. XikkeN

XikkeN Well-Known Member

You can delete words. Just type the rubbish word, then highlight it and tap the Swype key. It is a stupid difficult way to do it, but as far as I know it's the only way.

12. dan55

dan55 Well-Known Member

hi
    thanks yes I've done this before but I find that it doesn't
    always like to delete words :-/
    cheers
    Dan

13. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

It will delete words. However, it will also automatically add words from your contacts, etc. The latter is probably what you're experiencing.

For example, one of my contacts has II (as in the roman number 2) in a name field. As a result, "Ii" always pops up as a suggestion when I try to Swype "I" no matter how many times I delete "Ii" in Swype.

14. dan55

dan55 Well-Known Member

hi
    that's a very silly feature imo. why would i want more
    unreal words added? option to prevent that needed I think.
    cheers
    Dan

15. HumorMonkey

HumorMonkey Member

Is there a trick to this, I can't get this one to work for the life of me.

16. HumorMonkey

HumorMonkey Member

Edit,.got it. Dunno what the issue was.

17. wmm

wmm Well-Known Member

I've flip-flopped between Swype and SlideIt for many months now. With the recent update to 3.0, SlideIt has become my keyboard of choice again. They've added long-press symbols and numbers to the main keypad so you don't have to switch to the secondary keypad every time you want to insert a number or punctuation. I like the way they add the accented characters to the suggestion bar when you long-press a key -- that's definitely more convenient than the extra-long press and popup that Swype gives you. Another thing I like about SlideIt is that you have to explicitly ask to put new words into the dictionary; with Swype, there's no way to type an odd collection of characters for a CAPTCHA or whatever without it going into the dictionary. Also, the most recent version of Swype has started putting tapped letters and numbers into a suggestion popup instead of sending them directly to the application -- which interferes with the normal pattern of just typing a couple of letters into the "To:" field of an email and then selecting the recipient from the suggestion list.

There are still a few things I don't like about SlideIt -- the way they handle "a" and "I" is sub-optimal, for instance, and you still have to use the secondary keypad plus another tap in order to get ":" and ";" (unless I've missed something). I also like the editing keypad and the numeric keypad on Swype much more than what SlideIt provides. Overall, though, I like SlideIt a hair better.

18. dan55

dan55 Well-Known Member

i think that is the best advantage of slideit over swype; that it doesnt randomly enter rubbish - but i do find it less accurate with the key positions then swype - ie it gets the wrong key more often i find

btw: what is extra in full version? or is it same with out time period?

cheers
    dan

19. wmm

wmm Well-Known Member

Different people will have different experiences. I haven't noticed any significant differences in accuracy between Swype and SlideIt; if anything, I think SlideIt is very slightly better for me (YMMV).

Not sure -- I bought SlideIt a long time ago after I finally got tired of trying to figure out how to keep Swype up-to-date on my phone, so I don't have any recent experience with the free trial -- but I believe that's correct.

20. dan55

dan55 Well-Known Member

ok thanks - is it possible to calibrate slideit? didnt see an option for it - might help with my keys
    cheers
    dan

21. wmm

wmm Well-Known Member

No, I'm not aware of any calibration settings.

22. dan55

dan55 Well-Known Member

ok ta

23. Alyssalu6

Alyssalu6 New Member

I just downloaded it and I like how you can just changed it toABC really eaisly but I think if you use ABC it's much eaiserbecause the keys are more spread apart I'm not the biggest fan of eaither but I like swype better for gliding your finger and slide it fir ABC

24. dan55

dan55 Well-Known Member

think im giving up with slideit for now - im actually back using smartkeyboard pro - just for a change - maybe until swype brings out a new release ;)

25. wmm

wmm Well-Known Member

I forgot to mention one thing that I definitely do like better about Swype: the current beta has the feature of restoring the cursor location after you change a word. That is, if you notice an error a couple of lines earlier, you can double-tap on the word, choose the correct word from the selection pop-up, and then Swype moves the cursor back to where it was before you double-tapped the error. SlideIt, of course, can do exactly the same correction, but you have to move the cursor back where it was after you're done; it leaves the cursor following the word you just changed.