slidescreen - anyone using it?Support

Last Updated:

1. coolguy

coolguy Member This Topic's Starter

I see some folks are using it on the hero. How about the moment?

It looks interesting, but speed is important to me.

Slide Screen by Larva Labs

Advertisement
  2. justpastfinish

justpastfinish Well-Known Member

I am one of the beta testers for the program. It is actually quite fast once its loaded up for the first time. It is a very well designed app and its very professional looking too. I use it as my main home now. You can also use it by clicking on the icon, to just use it as a sort of "today" screen while preserving your home the way you want it.

3. coolguy

coolguy Member This Topic's Starter

I noticed that it calls up other apps with shortcuts. If I'm using handcent will it call that or the stock sms app?

4. justpastfinish

justpastfinish Well-Known Member

It works well with handcent as thats what I use. It retrieves new messages flawlessly. I had to turn off the popups as the slidescreen notifies you anyways.

I should also note that the slidescreen only displays new items. if you click on an email or message and read it, or swipe it off, then it displays "no new messages". So it wont keep a running tab of all the convos that you have going.... only new messages not checked.

Con:

when you long press on the icon to the right, the bubble, it opens up a new message... but in the stock messenger app... so thats lame. my way around that is to just use quick compose with the camera key in handcent.

Another down side to the quick compose with slide screen is that it is incredibly slow to open up the quick compose screen, then turn to landscape for me to type... but it works..

5. jdub71

jdub71 Well-Known Member

Tried it on my Eris. Works for the features in it, just light on those features. Will try it again when the next update is released.

6. momentoid

momentoid Well-Known Member

Tried the free version. Liked the center banner but could not change/configure the private, public sections to use 3rd party apps for email, twitter, SMS (had the same issues as @justpastfinish). Also, the font is smaller than I prefer.

7. Zumaki

Zumaki Well-Known Member

looks slick. Not very customizable though.

8. indiana jones

indiana jones Well-Known Member

this thing looks very slick. i generally enjoy a simple desktop so im really feeling this app. i would like to see some facebook plug. im gonna continue using it. it looks great. i can see why some people would not like it. its very limited as far as user customizations but very very nice looking. i wonder if BADA is gonna look like this.:D

9. justintosh

justintosh New Member

I have this, it works great, super slick and fast. Facebook integration would be a nice plus, as would the ability to choose how much of each kind of information we see.

For those of you who don't know, this app started out as a blog post on what was wrong with the iPhone home screen. The author of the post made a mockup that looked a lot like this (almost exactly the same). It received so much positive attention that he said he'd make an iPhone app for it. I'm not sure what ever became of the iPhone app, or if Apple will ever integrate something like this, but now we're all benefiting from the openness of Android, and the fact that it allows us the freedom to choose how our home screen (and everything else) looks and functions. Great stuff!

10. forty2

forty2 Well-Known Member

I loaded it yesterday morning, I love it. It puts almost all the things I want up front, right where I want them. The only compliant I have is that only my gmail shows up in the notifications, not my accounts that are synced with the other email program.

11. kkwan77

kkwan77 Well-Known Member

I highly recommend it. It's nice to have all your info right there in one screen. As for speed, I have not had any lag issues with it at all. I'm using the paid version. It's not for everyone but I dig it.

12. danraaka

danraaka New Member

I tried the free version ..
    if you configure all the accounts - twitter/reader/ it will kill the battery life.

So, I am back to original homesceen.