slidevillain vs. villain6

Last Updated:

1. mindfloss

mindfloss Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

should i jump ship to villain6? what are the pros and cons? no gps on either i take it though right?
    also, what app would i use to backup my apps and contacts?

Advertisement
  2. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

Villain 6 is a little better IMO, maybe a little faster. It's nice to have the Hero version of Sense back. Plus you can overclock it (if you want to).

Titanium Backup is the way to go for apps. Not so sure about contacts; mine are all Google contacts so I don't have to worry about that. What are your contacts saved as, Phone, SIM or Google?

Oh and GPS has worked on both for me just fine. I don't use it normally but I've tested it on both ROMs it's managed to lock onto me :)

3. mindfloss

the google contact thing is messed for me, before i rooted this phone a few weeks ago all my contacts were google contacts, same as now, but they didnt come through on my email, they do now...thankfully...lol i will try titanium backup! thx!

So you are using the new villain then?

4. Xyro

Yeah, I switched to it pretty much as soon as it came out :p

I guess the main difference (besides it being the HTC Sense you're used to), is that it runs a newer kernel (Which to non-devs like us means the drivers for the phone's hardware I believe). Not only does this new kernel allow you to set the processor to run a bit faster (at your own risk of course), but it improves the responsiveness of the touch screen somewhat.

This thread is full of people's impressions.

5. mindfloss

so i take it i only have to backup my apps and not any of the other internal system stuff if im gonna wipe the phone to put the new rom on??

6. Xyro

Well, essentially everything not on the SD card or SIM will get wiped. So it depends what you want to save. I always just back up my apps and of course my contacts and emails are saved with google. You can save your texts too. A big benefit of titanium backup is that it backs up your apps data too, so your programs remember their settings.

I believe there are apps that will back up and restore the phone's own settings, but I've never bothered with them.

mindfloss likes this.
  7. mindfloss

yeah, for the time it takes to plug in the old settings again...the hell with it...ok gonna be trying villain now...lol
    hopefully i can get the gps workin again then...

8. mindfloss

there is some sort of mms problem with this rom though?

9. Xyro

I don't know to be honest. I've never sent/recieved an MMS in my life :p

Looking at the post over on the VillainROM forums, it looks like there's a fix available.

>> VillainROM Forums • View topic - [ROM] VillainROM 6.0.1 - Hotfix released

10. mindfloss

yeah, as soon i posted that i seen how to fix it, lol...thx alot for all the help!
    phone scared me though when it first booted up and i seen that RGBY X bursting over and over, though i messed the phone, but alas, it works!

11. Xyro

Heh, that's the nexus one's boot screen I think. I like it :)