Slightly concerned - ease my paranoia please!

Last Updated:

1. paradigmteacher

paradigmteacher Member This Topic's Starter

Hey guys, I just bought a desire on a 3 yr contract. My concern going forward is several things.

1)Because Im on a 3 year contract will my desire not receive updates past 2.2 or more importantly 3.0?

2)An issue i see with android is a fractured operating system market, it seems that older androids will quickly be relegated to lack of support with new devices coming out seemingly every month.

3) If im on a 3 year contract would it simply be better to get an ip4 to be sure ill continue to get supported updates from apply for the life of my phone.

Thanks for any info, it just seems that androids quick development is a double edged sword for people that dont upgrade every year.

Advertisement
  2. copestag

copestag Well-Known Member

1) yes IF you do get updated to 3.0 that would most likely be the last update for the Desire

2) yes phones come out very quickly and its impossible to ever have the newest phone more than a few weeks..... and this does mean that older phones stop getting updates sooner than they should

3) no you should not get the iCrap instead........... an updated pile of crap is still a pile of crap........ whereas a great phone thats 1 update behind the rest of the world is still a great phone

3. aci78

aci78 Well-Known Member

Are you in the UK? 3 years is a LONG time for technology to advance. Not trying to scare you, I just feel a little better about having to wait only 2 years. On the upside, you have an awesome phone that will be high end for some time to come.

4. ashykat

ashykat Well-Known Member

Three Year Contract...those three words scare me to the core. That's a long ass time. What you will probably end up doing once you stop getting official updates is root and load custom roms. This way you can keep things fresh.

5. JccageX2

JccageX2 Well-Known Member

Or when you want a new phone you can just sell the one you have, then add some cash and get a new one.

6. alex51

alex51 Well-Known Member

Your concerns are legit,I would never agree to a 3 yr.contract,2 yr.is too long but at least with Sprint I can get full upgrade($150 discount)in one yr.as a premier member.I've had pda ph's. for many yrs. and generally speaking attention to bug fixes,updates etc.are only for about the 1st yr.from release date if your lucky.
    Thats not to say your device won't last that long,I had only one last 3 yr's(Treo) which is my backup which is much cheaper than insurance especially since I can upgrade yearly.

7. paradigmteacher

paradigmteacher Member This Topic's Starter

Im actually from Canada, the desire on a 3 yr was 80 bucks. The desire no contract is 499, 1 year 449 and 2 year 399. They rape consumers to get the 3 year contracts.