Slightly confused about flashing/rooting/recovery

1. pc99

pc99 Member

Hi guys.

Well I decided to have a play and rooted my phone using the unrevoked method. All quite painless.

I flashed a version of DeFrost (2.2) and had a play, but encountered a couple of problems.

So I flashed 2.3 when is became available.

Then I haf problems with battery drain. Since then there have been a number of new releases of DeFrost - pretty much every day.

So I decided to restore my Nandroid backup and stick with the stock ROM until things settle down a bit.

Having done this, I can no longer get into recovery. The phone hangs on the Pink Circle screen and I have to pull the battery.

So has restoring the Nandroid backup which was made using the ClockWorkMod Recovery destroyed the recovery flash, and is that what you would expect or has something bizarre happened to me.

Just curious as I assumed that once the Recovery was on there it would stay there.

It's no big deal as I'm sure it will be just as easy to go through the rooting process again.

Any insights appreciated though.

Regards - Graham

Advertisement
  2. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

The stock Rom refer to, is it a rooted one? As in part of the enrevoked guide?
  3. anoniemouse

anoniemouse Well-Known Member

You should find your phone is still rooted, just try another custom rom

i used the devillian rom & its very stable
    others are using the open desire rom
  4. pc99

pc99 Member

danfrance

No the stock rom I'm referring to was the original TMobile branded rom that the phone had on it from new.

I have rerun the unvoked flash program now, and got back into recovery.

I might try Open Desire, or even one of the 2.2 with Sense variants. I find some of the sense apps annoying, but other aspects I quite like.

As I said I just couldn't get back into ClockWork MOd Recovery after restoring the Nandroid backup.
  5. Killyouridols

Killyouridols Well-Known Member

Could of been the ClockworkMod Update.zip file was missing from your Nandroid backup. Happened to me once when I attempted to flash through CWM with the wrong SD card in :D

KYI
  6. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Remember the root access is within the ROM. If you put your stock ROM on, which had no root access, you wont be able to use ROM manager properly as it needs root access to function.
  7. pc99

pc99 Member

A-ha. It all becomes clear. I had assumed the unrevoked reflash actually flashed something and the recovery was a separate part of the rom, but I guess it didn't, so my initial Nandroid backup was an unrooted image.

Does that mean each of the custom ROMs you can download actually contain the recovery code?

Thanks for the replies guys.

Graham
  8. Salmanshakeel

Salmanshakeel New Member

Hi,
    I am rooted HTC Desire S through SuperOneClick and install ROM Manager , then I did Flash clockworkMod Recovery but problem is when I am go to ROM Manager for Installation ROM from SD card and select the reboot/ recovery my phone reboots and comes up on my screen and a line on the bottom sys E: can
  9. nicka3200

nicka3200 Well-Known Member

You might find the Desire S forum more help. This is the original Desire forum.