Slingbox and Android

Last Updated:

1. dlbrando

dlbrando Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Looking at getting a slingbox solo today, and one of the caveats is that I be able to use it with my x. I remember seeing the app in the market place before but now it appears to be missing. Is it available still or did it get pulled for some reason. The slingbox looks like a neat idea, and it is probably worth it with the number of TDY's I have coming up with my job. I just can't seem to find the app.

I saw another thread on this but it appears to have petered out and switched to a discussion about justin.tv and some other sites, which is worthy info to note, but not quite what I am after.

Advertisement
  2. loki

loki Active Member

Yes, it still is in the app market. I have the slingmedia app and it is great.

3. dlbrando

I cannot find it for the life of me. I ended up ordering the box, so now I just need the app. Anyone have a link to the apk download?

4. NCTurner

NCTurner Well-Known Member

Can you link the box you got? I'm very interested in getting one of these as well.

5. farrellcollie

farrellcollie Well-Known Member

6. dlbrando

sellout.woot.com has it today at $89 for a slingbox solo refurbished. A new one is $180ish or so at best buy. It looks well worth it, especially since you can view it from IE or firefox as well, through sling.com.

7. dlbrando

the appbrain link was just the ticket, wonder why it does not come up in my handheld market anymore. Been looking into getting one for a while now and had seen the app there before. Now I just need this thing to come in the mail.

8. NCTurner

NCTurner Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. My concern is my UL speed is slow - Time Warner maxes out at .5 mbps. I'm going to see about a different ISP that can offer more UL speed.

Good luck with your purchase!

9. harps500

harps500 Member

I also have the app. Got a basically brand new slingbox on craigslist for $15. Works like charm...

10. dlbrando

I love craigslist, got some smoking deals there myself from time to time.

11. dlbrando

OK, so this is a crap bump.

The app showws up on appbrain and under the online app website, but the phone says not available. The sling player works great at the house, but I want the app on my phone.

12. dlbrando

A clue appears: From the slingbox website support page

Currently, Android phones running the not-yet released Android 2.2 can't "see" SlingPlayer Mobile in the Android Market.

Sling Media has no control over this situation ... it's because of the secure way that the Android Market sells SlingPlayer Mobile for Android.

Once Android 2.2 is officially released, you can see and buy SlingPlayer Mobile normally with your Android version 2.2 phone. Until that time, if you need SlingPlayer Mobile for Android right away, there is no workaround other than reverting your phone to an official version of Android.

[Note: Android 2.2 is also known as Froyo, FRF50, and FRF72.]

I am running the rooted, deodexed version of Froyo that came out before the official release, could this be the problem? It seems like it could just be the app market, once it gets on the phone I should just be able to run it.