Slingbox and the X

Last Updated:

1. Stealthman

Stealthman Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I just got the Slingbox Pro-HD. The initial set up was a pain in the a** but now that I have it done I am really enjoying my X. The big screen is really sweet to have especially when watching shows. I can watch everything that is on my cable box and control it just like a remote control using the onscreen guide just like you are watching at home. It also has the ability to control my dvr although I haven't figured out how to do that yet.

One caveat however is that it doesn't appear to be in HD on my X. Some channels look really great and others so so but the quality is decent.

It's just super cool to be able to watch live tv on my X wherever I am. It's not cheap for the device and you have to download slingplayer from the market for another $30 but for me it's well worth it.

Advertisement
    MutantCheese likes this.
  2. MutantCheese

MutantCheese Well-Known Member

I have been looking at this for a few days. Thanks for making the decision to get Slingbox a much easier one.

3. nlsme

nlsme Well-Known Member

Yeah when my cable contract runs out, I am definatly getting one.

4. eraursls1984

eraursls1984 Well-Known Member

I've been researching this and still I'm unclear whether you have to have existing cable. It seems to (the home box) an expensive dvr. If you have to home box you still need cable right? Do you have to have a box at home to use the mobile version?

5. buxleyp

buxleyp Well-Known Member

Slingbox does not replace your cable. It just allows you to "place-shift," or use your phone (or pc) to watch what's displayed on your TV.

You don't have to have cable. You could sling pre-recorded content from your DVR, or over-the-air antenna broadcasts. However, a slingbox doesn't replace cable/fios (it's not a content provider).

6. ctxx24

ctxx24 Well-Known Member

I believe u have to have a box...I just got my sling adaptor today and it rocks. I can watch anything on my dvr or live tv. The hd channles all looked hd on my phone also. But mine is threw dishnet,so it my be different then the regular sling.

7. harps500

harps500 Member

I also have the slingbox with the Droid X. You need a cable and internet source for the sling box. Scored mine 15 bucks on craigslist. The Slingbox app is 30 bucks in Market after you've purchased the actual SlingBox. Great stuff.

8. setlab

setlab Member

So what does the box do? Stream your TV feed over the Internet and then you log onto that stream from your phone?

9. Stealthman

Stealthman Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Basically yes, you can control your cable box from your X and watch everything on it

10. Auditor_Kevin

Auditor_Kevin Member

I agree with the poster that mentioned picking up a Slingbox off of craigslist.

They are super cheap on there, and even my old Slingbox AV works just fine with the Droid X.

After bucking up for the thirty dollar Slingplayer Android app, you're home free watching all your cable content (including DVR and OnDemand) for free.

Can't beat that with a bat.

11. zandroidx

zandroidx Well-Known Member

Why is everyone dumping their slingblox on Craigslist?
    Also, if I want to use slingbox to bring tv to another room in my house, what is the name of the "client" device that I would install on the other TV?
    Also, can others still watch the "host" TV while someone is using the "client"?

12. ozzzy3z

ozzzy3z Well-Known Member

How many bars of 3G do you need for a decent video stream?

13. danlaw777

danlaw777 Well-Known Member

Im afraid I can....

If you have dishnetwork, they now have an app in the market and with their new slingloaded 922....no additional equipment is needed, NOR the 30 app

either way, its VERY cool!!!