Slingbox.com on Google TV Chrome Browser

Last Updated:

1. KarateExplosion6

KarateExplosion6 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi there,

I'm looking for someone who currently owns a Google TV product and a Slingbox to answer a quick question for me: If you surf over to slingbox.com and select Watch, will it stream? Does Google TV's Chrome Browser "really" function as a full-fledged browser--can you install Plug-Ins?

I ask because I'm a die-hard Philadelphia sports fan living out of market. I've got a Slingbox Classic set up at my parents' that I've been using for years, and now that I've got a nice plasma TV, I'd like to stream the content there. Right now, I do not have a large-screen laptop and haven't upgraded to a Slingbox Pro-HD because I don't think the gain in resolution would justify the expense, unless I'm able to stream that content on my plasma. I could theoretically do it by connecting my laptop to my TV via VGA and audio cables, but this isn't the "seamless" integration I'm hoping for. The only other option is to purchase a SlingCatcher, but they're only available on places like eBay and can go for $450+.

I approached Sling at a recent tech convention, but they didn't really know how to answer. Since they've integrated their technology with DISH Network, everyone doubts they will be releasing any additional SlingCatcher-type products soon.

If I can stream using Chrome on Google TV, I'd view it as a worthwhile investment to purchase both a Slingbox Pro-HD and a Google TV product.

Any and all feedback is appreciated!

Advertisement
  2. nickdnj

nickdnj New Member

It does not work... Sling does not support Chrome... It looks like it has nothing to do with google tv.... just Chrome.

On my PC and my Google TV I get this:

We're sorry -- your current browser (or system) is not supported.
    Please go here for more information.

Here is the more information

What browsers and systems are supported by Watch on Slingbox.com?

You can use Watch on Slingbox.com on both Windows and Intel-based Mac OS systems.

The supported browsers are:

MICROSOFT WINDOWS (Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7)

Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 (and above)
    Firefox 3 (and above)
    MAC OS X (Intel-based systems only)

Firefox 3 (and above)
    Apple Safari 4 (and above)
    Note about Safari: Is your computer is running Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)? If so, then Safari must be running in 32-bit compatibility mode. (See link in Related Information below to learn more about this.)
    Note:

There is no support for the Google Chrome browser. You must be using one of the browsers listed above.
    Mac OS computers must have Intel processors. You can't run Watch on Slingbox.com or Setup on Slingbox.com on a PowerPC-based Mac OS system. Instead, click the Downloads link above to get the Mac OS version of SlingPlayer, SlingPlayer for Mac.
    DishNetwork ViP922 HD DVR users: Here's a link with more information about what you need to get started:
    ViP922 HD DVR What You Need - DISH Network

3. KarateExplosion6

KarateExplosion6 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

You're right. I'm a Firefox user and hadn't noticed that it won't work. You can get Slingbox.com's Watch feature to work with Chrome, but you have to use IE Tab to do it. That won't work on Google TV, I'm sure.

Here's an interesting thought though... I use Sling MobilePlayer for Android on my Eris. Since Google has alluded to opening up the Android Market for use on Google TV, I'm wondering if the .apk for MobilePlayer would work? Think it would be the correct resolution?