Slingbox question ?

Last Updated:

1. HTCeasar

HTCeasar Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm debating on getting this for my evo. Anyone who had it, is it worth it ? I found a slingbox solo for 130 and the app is 30. That's alot off money just wondering what people who have it or seen it think. Sounds cool just expensive. Thanks

Advertisement
  2. CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze Well-Known Member

I have a slingbox solo and its amazing. I sling to my laptop when I travel or phone when I work. You have full function of your T.V. including your DVR. The android app is the best one yet imo, it runs very well on 3G and even better on 4G/wifi.

HTCeasar likes this.
  3. HTCeasar

I am getting my girl an Epic 4g will I be able to sling to my evo and her epic or will I have to buy 2 boxes?

4. Shawnz

Shawnz Well-Known Member

You can sling to both, but....

#1 - you'll have to buy the Android app 2x (yeah, this sucks)

#2 - only one of you can connect at a time. The Slingbox doesn't allow multiple remote viewers.

I'm in the same boat and for now I just don't have the Sling App on her phone.

HTCeasar likes this.
  5. Adambomb13

Adambomb13 Active Member

I have A Slingbox AV model and it works with the Slingplayer mobile software just fine, but I do get a warning that it might not work...but I just click ok to continue...Then I use a Motorola H17txt to stream the audio to my bluetooth headset so I now no longer miss the Red Sox no matter where I am without interrupting anyone else's peace.

6. Vegasden

Vegasden Member

If you are a Dish Network subscriber (and not in a huge hurry), you can save $30 for the Mobile app. Dish announced earlier this week it'll provide FREE mobile apps for Android (October) and all those "other phones" (Sept.).
    Dish to stream live TV on iPad, other devices - Yahoo! News

I have the Solo with the paid app and cannot be happier with the quality.

7. Roymus

Roymus Well-Known Member

I have the Slingbox Pro and have been a Slingbox user and fan for almost 5 years. I agree with the earlier poster that the Android SlingPlayer is excellent. The Sling software does a great job of buffering while streaming so you don't get a lot of skips and stuttering. The app was kind of pricey ($30) but well worth the money.

8. ericshmerick

ericshmerick Well-Known Member

I absolutely love Slingbox on my Android. I've used Slingbox on Windows Mobile, S60, Blackberry, iOS and now Android. Hands down the EVO and Android is the superior experience.

9. jiggy79

jiggy79 Well-Known Member

I have Slingbox at home and as well on my EVO. It works great on the 3g network and even better on WiFi. You won't regret it.

10. MrPassion

MrPassion Well-Known Member

Slingbox is a great buy. Among other things one can do is use it to put your cable or Directv on any computer in your home network. I also use it as a remote on my computer to run my TV from a place my remote won't reach.

11. JG-1

JG-1 Well-Known Member

I have a SlingBox pro-hd that will be here Monday....can't wait!!

12. HTCeasar

Is there a way to get this any cheaper? Any deals besides the Dish Network one? I have at&t which I hate by the way. Just trying to find either the slingbox solo cheap or app cheaper. Thanks for all the info. Definitely getting this.

13. CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze Well-Known Member

I dont think you will find the app for any cheaper than 30 dollars anywhere. If you want the hardware for cheaper you could always try craigslist or ebay. I know it sounds expensive but believe me its worth it.

14. VandyCWG

VandyCWG Member

Slingbox Pro-HD and Slingbox Classic.

Paid app here, and I love it.

15. Agent Jones

Agent Jones Well-Known Member

i have the sling box PRO-HD and love it. however the phone does not see a difference between a Slingbox HD or slingbox solo and it will look the same. however the sling box PRO HD gives you more inputs and it looks amazing when watching on laptops and remotely on computers. on my evo i paid 30 bucks for the app and use it all the time. my fiance has a hero and uses it hardly ever but she wanted it when she saw mine. So i just downloaded the .apk file online and it works just like the $30 dollar one i paid for in the app store.

16. sitlet

sitlet Banned

One thing to make sure, that you have enough upload speed on your home internet. I have 8mb down, but only .5mb up, and the quality isnt that great.

Also, if you dont want to spend that kind of cash, you can always buy any usb tv tuner, and use Orb to stream it for free. I do that with my Hauppauge 950 usb tuner.

17. Agent Jones

but how do you change the channels and access your dvr?

18. Shawnz

Shawnz Well-Known Member

The Slingbox has an IR mouse to control your set top box(es).

I had mine running a Tivo.

19. Agent Jones

i know how to do it with the sling box

i was quoting the guy that was using a tuner.

i have a slingbox PRO-HD with Directv HD-DVR

20. JG-1

JG-1 Well-Known Member

Does the .apk file work on Evo's too?

Link???

21. Y2Dre

Y2Dre Active Member

To the OP: This is one of those purchases where you curse yourself for spending all that money on something you may not use all the time...until you use it! Well worth the money. So much so that even though I have access to my job's Slingboxes, I bought my own Pro-HD. It fills the whole EVO screen and gets me many "Wow" looks! ;-) My lunch hour has been instantly better with this...and yours will, too.

22. scrface

scrface Well-Known Member

How is the quality? NEVER seen it in action up close and hard to see on web videos. IS it crystal clear,a lite grainy, like sprint tv...can you compare it to something

23. Agent Jones

better than sprint tv.

the picture is GREAT only thing that sucks is watching things that have words...like ESPN...the frame rate sucks so its hard to read and very grainy

24. Shawnz

Shawnz Well-Known Member

Please excuse my having the Tivo's SD output's aspect ratio set wrong when I captured these pics. I'd take new screen caps but I lost root a while back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ozzzy3z likes this.
  25. Agent Jones

yes the .apk file will work on ANY android phone....