• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Slingbox question ?

This is your key to image quality. The 4G signal is a huge help. I'm using an Incredible on VZW 3g and the image quality is okay, albeit fluid, with a bar or two. I should try it out in the parking lot here at work where the signal is pretty strong to see if it's better. Oh, I'm viewing FIOS TV with the Motorola HD-DVR on FIOS internet with a 20mbps down / 5mbps up connection so I have plenty of bandwidth both ways. Sending it out through the server and back to my laptop was amazing quality. The bitrate was 3-4mbps and it was pretty much flawless.

So my question to you all: I have a very noticable sync issue between the video and audio on my phone. Any ideas? Can the sync/delay be adjusted somewhere? It's quite annoying.
no sync issues on this end, I run atk and kill all apps before I start sling.. It helps with the lauch & connect time, and how long it takes for my picture quality to stabilize... I know people say not to use task killers, but it works for me...

Even on 3G my sling picture was pretty good... this is a video from my windows mobile/3g days
YouTube - HTC Touch Pro and Slingbox using TV Out

Upvote 0
As of yesterday my Sling for Android stopped working on wifi. Mine is not an isolated issue. Many people have been having problems that just started days ago. Of course support is blaming the phone even though it works on 3g and my laptop. When I log on to my Sling account online I get a message "slingbox software staus: warning" which is explained as a firmware update issue. However there is no update available!

Sling is great when it workss but I think as soon as they get some competition their lack of support is going to kill them.

Upvote 0
As of yesterday my Sling for Android stopped working on wifi. Mine is not an isolated issue. Many people have been having problems that just started days ago. Of course support is blaming the phone even though it works on 3g and my laptop. When I log on to my Sling account online I get a message "slingbox software staus: warning" which is explained as a firmware update issue. However there is no update available!

Sling is great when it workss but I think as soon as they get some competition their lack of support is going to kill them.
go into your router, and make sure your sling port is open on TCP & UDP... most routers only have TCP open by default...

Upvote 0
that happens to me sometimes when i get a notification or call while watching sling, then going back into it. backing out of the app then going back in removes this issue for me

That's right. The admin and password were driving me nuts until I realized that hitting the back button is the way to eliminate the problem.

One thing I actually find pretty cool is that if a call comes in while slinging, I'll answer and then after I hang up, slingplayer automatically reconnects without me doing anything extra... most of the time; occasionally, it will still request the admin and password.

Upvote 0
First, I'm the biggest sportsnut I know. I pay for most sports packages and that alone justifies hardware and software investment to have access, imho. I have 2 slingboxes and I dedicated the solo for my traveling friends to access and an HD for my use :) I LOVE LOVE LOVE slingbox products (using slinglink too). I was lucky enough to travel to South Africa for World Cup 4 days after I got my Evo and have been waiting for a slingplayer for my phone for YEARS! Stroke of luck on my return from S.A. as they just released slingmedia for Android (yes, I cried!!). I was able to watch all WC matches live during my 34 hour journey back home. The airline offered wifi for 9 bucks or something so I was watching the games from the plane!! Even the pilot got his updates from me and passed them on :)~ It was a moment!!!

p.s. I even watched the Lakers/Celtics final game via the desktop slingmedia player from S.A.!!!

I think it is AWESOME that slingmedia has never imposed a service fee! Since I pay so much money to Comcast I definately get my money's worth by giving free access to my friends :) It's the little things!
sportytechgirl-albums-evo-slingplayer-picture2130-slingplayer.jpg

Renee

Upvote 0
I had problems with lag and could not get my Pro Hd to view channels independently of my tv. Sounds like I should upgrade my Uverse internet, but am still unsure about the lack independant channel changing. The fact that sling tech didn't speak english very clearly didn't help. They were nice about getting my refund going. Anyone know what could have caused my channel issue? Thanks...

Upvote 0
you need two inputs on a prohd. i have one input coming from my cable box (allows for dvr shows, on demand, etc) and a second input that is direct cable, which i split before going into the cable box.

cable from outside -> splitter -> cable box & slingbox

if i'm using the sling app to watch off my cable box, i change the channel on the old lady and kid at home. if i change inputs and switch to straight cable, no effect at home (but i'm limited to what i can watch).

Reactions: 11sec_lx
Upvote 0
If you have dish network you can upgrade to Vip 922 receiver which has built in slingbox and get app for free. Best thing about 922 is that when someone slings in it does not effect the home tv and change the channel. You can be recording 2 shows, Watching a recorded show and can sling one show all at same time. My daughter who lives 3000 miles away doesnt need her own tv service as she records to my receiver and watches whenever she wants on her tv that is hooked to pc via hdmi.

you need two inputs on a prohd. i have one input coming from my cable box (allows for dvr shows, on demand, etc) and a second input that is direct cable, which i split before going into the cable box.

cable from outside -> splitter -> cable box & slingbox

if i'm using the sling app to watch off my cable box, i change the channel on the old lady and kid at home. if i change inputs and switch to straight cable, no effect at home (but i'm limited to what i can watch).

This is what I'm curious about. I've not had cable in years. I get all my TV online. Unfortunately it's not the most efficient thing in the world to download or stream shows directly to a phone and most sources just plain won't let you.

I was going to buy a cheap slingbox and hook it up to my friend's cable TV. He only uses the internet fro casual browsing so he should have the bandwidth to spare.

The thing is, this can't effect their TV viewing. What's the best way to stream their Comcast cable TV using slingbox to my Evo?

Upvote 0
This is what I'm curious about. I've not had cable in years. I get all my TV online. Unfortunately it's not the most efficient thing in the world to download or stream shows directly to a phone and most sources just plain won't let you.

I was going to buy a cheap slingbox and hook it up to my friend's cable TV. He only uses the internet fro casual browsing so he should have the bandwidth to spare.

The thing is, this can't effect their TV viewing. What's the best way to stream their Comcast cable TV using slingbox to my Evo?
If they have analog cable available use that as a source and of course get a SlingBox with an NTSC tuner on board. You'll be able to run completely independent of their TV viewing.

If they don't have analog available, or the content you want is only available on digital cable, you're gonna need to arrange to get another cable box to slave off the the SlingBox.

Reactions: HittingSmoke
Upvote 0
If they have analog cable available use that as a source and of course get a SlingBox with an NTSC tuner on board. You'll be able to run completely independent of their TV viewing.

If they don't have analog available, or the content you want is only available on digital cable, you're gonna need to arrange to get another cable box to slave off the the SlingBox.
Or get a Graveyard shift at your job, so the cable box is not being used by your spouse or kid. That also stops the show interruption problems. :D

Upvote 0
Has anyone recently had trouble with the slingplayer software on your phone. For some reason I cant do anything once its connected. Nevermind it's working now. My DVR box wasn't turned on and the IR was not set at the right location on the DVR Box (not really sure if that was part of the problem but I fixed the location anyways to eliminate any other possibility)

Upvote 0
I love this app.

On sunday I use it to watch NFL RedZone channel if I'm watching a game with someone that only wants to watch that one game. So I can keep tabs on other games and my fantasy football trailer.

Sometimes when we are out of the house and my daughter gets fussy, I can fire up the slingplayer and play one of her shows that is recorded on the DVR.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones