Slingbox QuestionsSupport

Last Updated:

1. spb21

spb21 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'll be viewing in an area with no wifi and only vehicle power supplies. I would like to watch live sports with my phone and display on my laptop screen.

First, what are the upload speed requirements for slingbox and how do I check my speed at home.

Second can I simply buy the $40 HDMI cable and connect from my Droid X to the HDMI slot on my computer to view the Slingbox feed on the computer screen? What other hardware, software or apps are required ( I am aware of the Real HDMI and slingbox apps)?

Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. trentmh

trentmh Member

Hello,
    I have the X and a Slingbox and here is what I do and would recommend:
    1. Download free version PDAnet from the market so that you may tether your X to your laptop and use it as a modem. You can use your existing USB cable for this. Although you could try and link them via Bluetooth, I think the experience will be better by using a cable.

2. Establish a connection to the i-net using the X as a modem.

3. Download the Slingplayer app to your laptop and use it to you watch your movies. This app is free so you wouldn't need to pay the $29.99 for the Slingplayer mobile app for the X.

I will say though that since the 3G speed is limited, the picture quality will look better on your X than it will on your laptop due to pixelization, at least that has been my experience. It's watchable, just not great.

3. YaBoiD

YaBoiD Well-Known Member

The Slingbox has a free PC app already so you could just tether your DX to your laptop via usb & start up the app. I've been using Slingbox since '04 & I'd recommend at least 2 Mbps for a good streaming experience.

4. spb21

What is the best way to check my upload speed?

5. hob0d4n

hob0d4n Well-Known Member

6. spb21

Ok, my up speed is waaaaaay slow. In fact, I think my phone is faster than my internet at home. I've been considering uverse. Anyone have experience with it? My sense is that it is good or bad depending where you are and who you deal with.

7. iwillfearnoevil

iwillfearnoevil Well-Known Member

what's your upload speed, from slingbox's site:

Sustained speeds between the Slingbox and Player of 1 Mpbs or higher will give great results in my experience. Above 700 kbps is very good. 600 kbps or below isn't ideal but it's usually good enough to enjoy the show.

8. spb21

Do I need to add the data service to my plan in order to tether a single device? Root?

9. NCTurner

NCTurner Well-Known Member

I really like PDA Net. You can tether a single computer to your phone via USB, but the best part, it's FREE.

10. spb21

My market search pulled up PDA Net free and Easy Tether Lite. What are the pros and cons of each.

Maybe since they are free I should just try them and decide for myself. :D

11. spb21

Do I have to have the router and reciever in the same place? Or will slingbox work over wifi?

12. akkkmed

akkkmed Guest

We've had UVerse for a year or two. It has been great and really fast. I don't know what else to say, but it's great.
    Two other people I know have it, too. One also has great service. But the other is "apparently", according to Uverse technicians, too far outside the service area. She has really, really shoddy service/speed/etc. The situation doesn't make sense since UVerse said she was able to get the service and they installed it. Yet they claim she never should have been allowed to get it.

Other people I know also love their service. I recommend it.

13. Brian_83

Brian_83 Well-Known Member

Here is the thing about your upload speed at home. It doesn't need to go any higher than your phone download speed anyway. Chances are on your phone the download speed while streaming will range from 200kbps to maybe 900kbps on average. As long as your home upload speed is somewhere in there your fine. A faster upload at home won't do you much good since you're going to be limited to whatever the download speed is on the receiving end. Slingplayer is pretty decent at optimizing the picture at slower speeds.

14. spb21

I just talked to a guy at the ATT store. Ohhh boy... :rolleyes: He was "feel sorry for him" dumb. Semi-literate and apparently without the cognitive horsepower to do anything about it. I've read bad reviews about ATT's sales force. I can confirm they are not over-spending in that regard.

I then called ATT and got directed to someone with some tech skills. He was very helpfull. I'm hopeful now.

15. spb21

Thanks Brian - I guess that should have been obvious, right?

16. pianodr

pianodr New Member

i am using rooted phone with wireless tether. everthing on my computer works well except the slingbox app will not connect! slingbox is no help. does anyone know how to make this work? it will connect on my home network; just not when i am mobile and am using my phone as the wifi network. speed is not the problem.