Slots and Kernels

Last Updated:

1. silkchaos

silkchaos Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I did spend some time searching several forums, and haven't been able to find an explanation.

What is the difference between the 5-slot and 7-slot kernels? What are the advantages/disadvantages of one vs the other?

With the Voltages - is it safe to assume that you want to go with the lowest voltage you can - that runs stable?

I appreciate the help.

Advertisement
  2. silkchaos

I have to admit I do feel less noobish about this question now.. 18 views and no one else can answer it either...

3. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

I use the 7 slot kernels just to have more options in terms of profile settings. I have heard talk in the past saying that a kernel having more than 5 slots is bad for the processor but as far as I know that is unsubstantiated. I think most of the kernel makers if not all stopped making the 10 slot ones due to possible processor damage though.

I think if you are at all worried about it go 5 slot. If you want more options go 7 slot.

4. silkchaos

What sort of options do you mean? I apologize for hte complete noobish questions - Its not even worry.. I just don't know the differences.

5. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

Well you will be able to set your processor at more speeds. Im going to use chevys 1.2ghz kernels as an example.

With the five slot you can set your processor at these speeds (125/250/550/800/1200)

With the seven slot you can set it at these speeds (125/250/550/800/1000/1100/1200)

So you can set at 1000 and 1100 that you couldnt use with the 5 slot. Like I said more options

silkchaos likes this.
  6. silkchaos

Thanks! That makes more sense

7. inssane

inssane Well-Known Member

I have had stability issues with lower voltages.
    Start low, test, move higher if needed. Also had best luck with Chevy1 kernels.

8. GirLuvsDroid

GirLuvsDroid Well-Known Member

My experience has been exactly the same. Chevy says that about 10% of Droid users have problems with the LV kernels.

9. emdmao

emdmao Well-Known Member

Also want to note some of my experience with 5 and 7 slot kernels.

I don't know if this happens to others, but when I use a 5 slot kernel my phone heats up really fast and really hot. Just the other day I flashed Bekits 1.2 LV five slot kernel and after about 5 minutes browsing the web my temps were already near 120 degrees (not dangerous temps, but I don't like it heating up this fast). Flashed Bekits 1.2 LV 7 slot kernel right after and I haven't gone over 105 degrees at all, even browsing the web for 20+ minutes.