Slow 4G tether? Try this:Tips

Last Updated:

1. uniquenameEVO

uniquenameEVO Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I don't tether much, but I did the other day. My phone could pull a steady 10Mbps according to speakeasy, yet me PC was more like 1.5Mbps. I actually did just as well on tethering by turning off 4G. I found the below on XDA. I will be trying asap.

This was posted by creator of wifi-tether as a possible fix. Make sure wifi tether is NOT running in the background

Go into terminal on phone or adb via computer:

adb shell
    su
    rm /data/data/android.tether/bin/fixroute.sh

Advertisement
  2. GhostFlame

GhostFlame Well-Known Member

can you post a link?

3. uniquenameEVO

uniquenameEVO Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

4. tmwilsoniv

tmwilsoniv Well-Known Member

I'll try to keep this short.
    When I first got my Evo w/ Hotspot service, my laptop through speed to 4G network seemed capped at 1.5 mbps, regardless of tower to device speed. I tried everything from over-writing and updating drivers, chipsets, Wi-fi cards... the works. Couldn't get past 1.5 on the laptop, even when the device was clocking in at 8.5 mbps. I figured it must be a virus or trojan so I prepared to run Trend Micro House Call by uninstalling my AVG. When I went on line to find Trend's site, my laptop seemed alot snappier. I ran a quick speedtest and couldn't believe my eyes. I don't remember the exact speed (it was back in June) but it was over 5.5 mbps. I now use Comodo and Avast (free from Cnet).

That was then...
    Now I am rooted, use Wi-fi tether for casual surfing but for speed intensive applications, I use the paid version of Easytether. I get about a 20% loss in speed using PdaNet and the Wi-fi tether but see no decrease in speed using Easytether. For some reason, my laptop speedtests came in a little faster than the device speedtests when using Easytether.