Slow, buggy emulator?

Last Updated:

1. DaveInNYC

DaveInNYC Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

When I try to run apps in the emulator via Eclipse, the emulator always takes a LONG time to load, and when it finally does, I get messages indicating various core services are not responding. Does anyone else experience this? I find it MUCH faster to just keep re-installing my app on my Droid and running it from there.

Advertisement
  2. noonehereyet

noonehereyet No One... VIP Member

Need a little more info to help you out man... What version of eclipse, what version of SDK... How did you set your emulator? what version is your emulator running? did you add the other core stuff in like sd etc? need to know how your set up to help... If you'd prefer you can pm me....

3. metter

metter Active Member

Hey

Might be a stupid question, so no offence :)
    You don't restart it everytime you run your project right? So you let it running, right?

Just because your explanation sounds like you're closing the emulator window after each launch.

Cheers

4. DaveInNYC

Not a stupid question, I'm just a stupid developer :eek:

I am indeed closing the emulator after each run; I am a long time desktop app developer (last time I tinkered with mobile development was with the Palm Pilot) and am just used to that way of doing things (close your app when you are done, though in this case I am treating the emulator as the "app"). I'll RTFM and see how to do it the right way.

That being said, the emulator seems to run slow, even after startup is complete.

5. DaveInNYC

Eclipse 3.5.1
    Android SDK 2.0

Haven't added any other core stuff. Created the emulator AVD per the Hello World sample at Hello, World | Android Developers. Looking back on this, it creates a 1.5 emulator; I am guessing the version mismatch could be causing some issues.

As I said in my other post, I obviously need to RTFM instead of just following the Hello World instructions. Specifically, Developing In Eclipse, with ADT | Android Developers. If there is anything else I missed, please let me know.

Thanks!

6. DaveInNYC

Got it all working now, thanks. Both of your questions really helped me see what I was doing wrong.

7. noonehereyet

noonehereyet No One... VIP Member

No worries man... just curious but what exactly are you working on? and if your just learning start off with widgets and web view stuff to get a feel for things...

8. DaveInNYC

I am just playing around right now, learning the environment. What I am going to try to develop as my first app is something to make the Droid sleep/wake when going into/out of a Blackberry holster, instead of going into alarm clock mode. I really miss that from my BB.

My UI skills are wretched (no matter how well I know the platform), so I'm going to stick with little utility apps.

9. metter

metter Active Member

Hey Dave

Glad you got it working.
    And I too know the problem of simply being unable to create a nice GUI.

But then again, thats what the design monkeys are there for (wish I had one). :)

Cheers

10. Bogie

Bogie Well-Known Member

I am glad I am not the only one who did this. :) Also joining in on the bandwagon for not being able to do good UI on my own.

11. bilbravo

bilbravo Well-Known Member

Do you mind if I ask what you did to fix this? I am having the same issue you are having, and have tried creating multiple AVDs but always have the same issue.

12. KeithG

KeithG Well-Known Member

You can't deploy a 2.0 app, on a 1.5 device.

You can... deploy a 1.5 app on a 2.x device....

13. quakelad

quakelad New Member

14. sh4dow

sh4dow Active Member

since i keep stumbling across this thread when googling about emulator issues... in case others do as well:

youwave cannot yet be used directly from eclipse.
    last word i've found from the youwave-developer is that getting that to work is "not a high priority" for him.

so you would have to compile the apk and load it up in youwave manually each time you want to test the app you are working on. that seems more of a pain than simply connecting your phone to the computer...

15. JordiDroid

JordiDroid Active Member

16. sh4dow

sh4dow Active Member

here's btw a great tutorial for using android-x86 for debugging... it really is awesome!!

http://androiddevnotes.com/2011/03/08/1299521520000.html

one thing i should note - i don't know whether it was just coincidence but i couldn't get the custom resolutions to work. i decided to give it up and just create the data/sdcard partitions instead. after that, i gave the resolutions one more shot and... tadaa! there they were. in case somebody else has troubles getting custom resolutions to work as well.

17. subduedjoy

subduedjoy New Member

I am new to Eclipse and Android development, and I too am finding Eclipse buggy. It does not always rebuild my project even though I have gone back to the previous version that had no errors (manually be retracing my steps). Typically, Eclipse says it can't find a resource that is there or that my app is already running when I closed the emulator before doing the rebuild. I have tried many workarounds to get Eclipse to rebuild my project with inconsistent results. For example, one time merely closing and reopening Eclipse got it to rebuild my project. I did not resave or make any changes to the code beforehand. Yet Eclipse was able to rebuild my project just because I had closed and then reopened it.

18. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande? VIP Member

I've found it much easier to develop on a phone/tablet.

Also they have changed the visibility of some Theme resources in newer SDKs

19. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande? VIP Member