• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Slow charging

Baz8755

Jul 13, 2010
South Coast UK
This morning I put my Desire on to charge as it had run flat. An hour later I turned it on as I needed to use it.
The battery had only charged to around 15%, this seemed a little odd in that the phone has normally charge from completely flat to full in less than 3 hours. A few hours later and the battery had only got to 30%.

I was using the supplied wall charger (as I am aware that USB charging is slow) but what I had done is plugged a USB extender into the charger and then plugged the supplied microUSB lead into that.

I removed the extender and within minutes the phone was charging at a sensible speed.

Anyone have any idea why using an extender on the AC-Adaptor should have this effect?

Cheers

Baz

Sometimes crappy cables do affect the charging rate.. I have a couple of ebay cables that will still report as "Charging USB" in the battery status screen when plugged into the HTC wall charger. I suggest you look at the battery status in settings --> about phone --> battery

If it says "Charging USB" when using your extender then thats your probelm, if it says "Charging AC" then you have me stumped.

Upvote 0
Usb is only designed for 500ma so presumably thecables are as well. My guess would be that either the phone can tell this so limits the current draw or the size of the wires is acting as a limiter.

Nothing to do with the cable - though the quality of the cable can affect the charging rate. All to do with whether pins 2 and 3 are linked. If they're linked then the phone will draw more than 500Ma and show AC charging. If not, the phone will charge at 500Ma.

There was a long thread about this a while back. I'll see if I can dig it out.

http://androidforums.com/htc-desire/75062-charging-usb-ac-differences.html

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones