slow download speeds - EVO mobile hotspot?Support

Last Updated:

1. bbauernf

bbauernf New Member This Topic's Starter

Jun 7, 2010
    Is anyone experiencing slow connection speeds when using the EVO mobile hotspot.. From the evo phone itself, I am getting 2 - 3 Mb/s download speeds.. When I connect my laptop or ipad, I am getting max 500 kb/s download speeds on them.. the phone continues to get 2 - 3 Mb/s download speeds while hotspot is on.. I have tried different wireless security settings but all seem to exhibit the same behavior..

Any thoughts on how to rectify this? I am assuming the mobile hotspot should be providing download speeds comparable with the native EVO connection..

2. Torq

Torq Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2010

On a steady 3Mb/s downstream to the phone I am seeing about 1/10th of that via the hotspot function. I've tested it with my iPad, three different iPhones (original, 3G and 3GS), a Toshiba laptop, my MacBook Pro and a slew of Dell laptops at work, and its the same on all of them.

I also have a Sprint OverDrive which is vastly faster than than using the Hotspot function on the Evo 4G.

I had planned to retire the OverDrive and use the Evo 4G instead, but unless a fix/acknowledgment is forthcoming in the next day or so I'll be forced to return the Evo 4G. Without the hotspot being usable I've no need for it at all.