Slow Droid, should I root/Overlock?

Last Updated:

1. tehjrow

tehjrow Member This Topic's Starter

My Droid is slow. I went on an app uninstall spree and really cut it down. I don't have any task killers installed (saw some posts about them) and sometimes my phone does dumb things and lags.

If I root and overclock will I see a big difference? I know the dangers of overclocking and that the processor is rated at 1ghz but is underclocked, I understand all that.

Or, any suggestions on making it faster?

Advertisement
  2. Needsdecaf

Needsdecaf Well-Known Member

You will see a huge difference.

3. UBRocked

UBRocked VZW Nexus Please!!! VIP Member

If you decide to root, you will probably be MUCH happier with your phone. Honestly, I'm not going to try to talk you out of it...you ARE in the rooting sub-forum :)

I'm running (very stable) at 1.2Ghz, I have 7 screens loaded with apps and widgets, flawless screen transitions, 3D app launcher, multi-touch full screen browser...after reading that...how do you not root? :D

Having said that, you should read some of the threads here about rooting, overclocking, and changing between some of the various custom ROM's that we have available to us. Good idea to learn the basics before you root because it will save you time and frustration.

4. njKeever

njKeever Well-Known Member

I have been running at 800mhz for several weeks and it has been like a whole new phone. So much more responsive.

5. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

I have to concur with the others. The Droid was awesome stock, but after rooting it becomes a monster. Even if you just overclock it to 800 or so, the speed difference and stability is tremendous. The custom ROMs are leagues better than the stock ROM. It just becomes a beast of a phone. I would highly recommend it.

6. magdelaine

magdelaine Well-Known Member

Dittos! Big difference even with OCing just to 800mhz. After I did it I wondered why I hadn't done this 10 minutes after getting my phone in the first place.

FYI: I no longer mess with Task Killers.

7. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

Yep. I was skeptical too because overclocking on a PC really doesn't do anything for your performance unless you're talking video editing, gaming, etc. In terms of everyday performance, on a computer, the CPU is not the bottleneck.

On the Droid, however, it's a totally different story. I generally run either 250-800 or 250-1000 and it makes a huge difference. And the best part is your battery actually lasts longer once you start messing with the clock! Setting the clock to 250-250 when the phone is in standby makes an enormous difference.