Slow home screen loading on Moto Droid! Help?

Last Updated:

1. AMTrombley0924

AMTrombley0924 VIP Member VIP Member This Topic's Starter

I'm Running 2.2, CyanogenMod 6.0.0, using a Chevyno1 LV 1.0 ghz kernel with FRG22D.

My home screens take forever to load after i do anything, from checking a text message, to reading the news on an app. It takes about 4 or 5 seconds to have all my widgets and icons load up. I'm OCing it to 1.0 ghz and it still loads slow. My phone performs fast overall except for this. I have five screens on my Launcher Pro home, and each one has just one widget. Is there anything I can do to speed it up? Can I clear any caches?

Advertisement
  2. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

3. Trapper31

Trapper31 Well-Known Member

Try playing with LauncherPro's memory settings. I think people bhave had luck with the keep in memory option (or something like that) and the moderate memory profile.

4. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

I loaded the Ultimate Droid 8 ROM this morning and am very impressed by its speed. Home screen lag is virtually non-existent. FINALLY!

5. Thornfullessrose

Thornfullessrose Well-Known Member

Yea this helped me a while ago when i had the same problem. I set it to moderate and i home screen be like ZOOM now. most of the time it doesnt even have to refresh. you can also set it to medium or high depending on how much memory you use otherwise.

6. sxn3n

sxn3n Member

Have you tried this:

LauncherPro Forum • View topic - Fixed Launcher Pro lag when returning to home screen

Worked for me on everything except when removing from docking station.

Jeff

supasizefries and djkeller3 like this.
  7. RyanB

RyanB Guest

After I rooted and OC'd with Froyo, I also installed Auto Killer, but flipped its intended use. It is billed to allow users to control the threshold of the OS to smooth out the OS experience as you can have Android close apps sooner. I've done the opposite and raised the threshold so the processor has more to juggle since it's closing apps less often hoping it'll assist in keeping the launcher in memory more often, and all told I think those things are helping my experience as my redraws appear much less often now.

8. djkeller3

djkeller3 Well-Known Member

This has worked amazingly well with my Droid. It is now very finely tuned and working FLAWLESSLY FAST! Doing everything I want it to do. There is absolutely NOTHING on the market that is tempting me away from my Droid now. This tweak actually solved some other minor inconveniences that I found annoying, and now I feel as though I have a literally perfect Droid!

9. Turdbogls

Turdbogls Well-Known Member

i had these problems with FRG01b (or whatever the previous version was) but i have not had any problems with it since switching to frg22D. went from LFY 1.5 to sapphire 1.1.1 this morning and i haven't had any problems yet. but i have all animations turned off, and LP memory preset to LOW. the widgets take like half a second to load, if that, but other than that i have no problems even when removing it from the dock.

10. Tim K

Tim K Well-Known Member Contributor

My droid got to the point where the whole phone was lagging on pretty much any operation. I shut down launcher pro and went back to the regular stock 2.2 launcher. That seems to have dealt with the problem so far.

11. sxn3n

sxn3n Member

Happy to hear it worked well for you also! This is the only thing that worked for me.

Regards,
    Jeff

12. thegadgetguroo

thegadgetguroo Well-Known Member

What about those of us who are not rooted.

13. Lock-N-Load

do you know if...

1. this would work for people that do not use Launcher Pro
    2. did either have you have that file in /data/ or did you have to make it?

14. RyanB

RyanB Guest

The other day I stumbled across an app called Speed Loader. It claims to keep apps running in the background, and my first thought was to use it on my launcher. The problem was, LP wouldn't show up with my other apps as something to keep running. I've emailed the Dev who said he'd look into it. I'd recommend that you do same, in the hopes that it increases the "urgency" for the developer to tweak it.

15. Lock-N-Load

this? how is an app loader helping with home screen lag?

16. RyanB

RyanB Guest

Well, in hoping that Speed Loader would be able to keep the OS from shutting down LP to begin with. If it isn't closed in the first place, why would it need to redraw when you go home?

17. Lock-N-Load

I wonder what an app like that might do to battery usage?

18. Thornfullessrose

Thornfullessrose Well-Known Member

Just loaded Liquid Froyo last night and this never happens anymore. No matter what app I open or what i do, it never happens anymore. And i didn't even mess with the memory settings yet. Don't think Im gonna considering how perfect this ROM is!

EDIT: With LauncherPro.

19. RyanB

RyanB Guest

Until they (hopefully) update it to work with launchers, I've got no idea. I know it's not the most efficient workaround for the processor or memory, but it might be an acceptable tradeoff for those leary to monkey with code.

20. sxn3n

sxn3n Member

I didn't have the file, so I had to create using the echo command as described. I don't know if it works with other launchers since I only use LauncherPro+, but I would think that it may work with other launchers since it fixes the issue with not staying in memory.

Here is the quoted writeup from the original link:

"Here's the procedure if you would like to try it out:

Open a terminal, type su and hit enter (you must be rooted for this to work). Now go look and see if you have a file called: /data/local.prop

IF NOT, then type this directly into the same su'd terminal: echo ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1 > /data/local.prop and hit enter, and then reboot.

IF YOU DO, have an existing file called /data/local.prop already, open it with a text editor, and add a line at the very end (if an identical line does not already exist) with this: ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1 and then reboot."

21. Tim K

Tim K Well-Known Member Contributor

I am running stock 2.2, removed launcher pro and I am still having the problem. I tried removing apps and widgets to no avail....the lag always comes back.

22. gwlaw99

gwlaw99 Well-Known Member

put launcher pro back on. in advanced settings select cache home screens and build cache as needed.

23. thegadgetguroo

thegadgetguroo Well-Known Member

I've done that and still get lag

24. Lock-N-Load

you will ALWAYS get lag. it is just a matter of how often. the issue is in the system.

LP no doubt improves it.

25. AndroidsOfTara

AndroidsOfTara Well-Known Member

I'm running with the exact same setup as you and have been able to greatly reduce, but not completely eliminate this annoying problem.

Settings > CyanogenMod settings > Performance settings > VM heap size > 32m

In the LP settings, enable "Keep in memory." My LP memory usage preset is set to Moderate.

See if those changes make a difference.