• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Slow texting and can't delete big text threads

Rise

Lurker
Dec 26, 2010
When I first got the phone back in June of 2010, texting was amazing! It has gotten slower and slower to the point where it takes a minute or two to open up a received message and another minute to send. I have over 20,000 text messages since then and have tried to delete them, but it takes forever or crashes. For example, a 2 message thread takes about 16 seconds to delete! I've tried to delete a thread with 295 texts and it just crashes after like 5 minutes. The biggest thread is 12k some texts, which I can't even delete (I've tried and it crashes after 5 minutes). I tried Handcent, Super SMS Quick Delete, etc., but they all crash or take forever to delete small threads. This is frustrating. I had 2 Palm phones before and never ran into this problem.

When I first got the phone back in June of 2010, texting was amazing! It has gotten slower and slower to the point where it takes a minute or two to open up a received message and another minute to send. I have over 20,000 text messages since then and have tried to delete them, but it takes forever or crashes. For example, a 2 message thread takes about 16 seconds to delete! I've tried to delete a thread with 295 texts and it just crashes after like 5 minutes. The biggest thread is 12k some texts, which I can't even delete (I've tried and it crashes after 5 minutes). I tried Handcent, Super SMS Quick Delete, etc., but they all crash or take forever to delete small threads. This is frustrating. I had 2 Palm phones before and never ran into this problem.

Alright i actually have been having the same problem as well. My message threads were ridiculously long and my phone started to lag like no other. I also experience the same thing where my phone would crash just trying to delete a 300 text thread. What i suggest to you is to try again to delete your threads. set your screen time out to "never time out", plug in your phone, delete the thread and go to bed. It is going to take a pretty long time to delete all those so just do it when your sleeping so you dont have to worry about it. I was able to delete a thread that was over 10k easily. Its better to do this when your sleeping cause then you wont be using your phone for anything. So it can just do the one job of deleting the thread. just be patient and do one thread at a time.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones