1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Slow WiFi on Razr MaxxSupport

1. jonebk12

jonebk12 New Member

I'm having weird issues with my Razr Maxx (4.0.4) when it's connected to my home wifi. The router itself is in my roommate's room so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to get you the specs on it, but I think it's an older linksys. Anyway, the phone has no problems actually connecting to the network and maintaining the connection. I just get REALLY slow speeds with several apps. Downloading apps from the Google store takes forever, for example. Performing a search in Google Maps also takes a really long time to return results and the speech-to-text function never works (I assume because it has to connect to the online database). Oddly, my browser (Dolphin) seems to run just fine and at normal speeds, so maybe it's just Google services.

I ONLY have these speed issues on my home wifi. 4g and 3g are just fine as are every other wifi network I've connected to. Also, internet speeds on my laptop while connected to the network are completely normal.

I just wanted to know if anyone out there has any idea what the problem could be and if there's a way to fix it. Could there be settings on the router that need to be changed? Are certain routers just partly incompatible with my phone?

Thanks for reading, and I appreciate any help y'all can give me.

Advertisement
    :
  2. you2

you2 Well-Known Member

You might try a tool like networkcatcher to see if it detects an obvious issue ( like packet loss ):

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.shunra.nce&hl=en

or fing

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...xLDEwOSwiY29tLm92ZXJsb29rLmFuZHJvaWQuZmluZyJd

or
    network tools
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/...EwNCwidWEuY3Yud2VzdHdhcmQubmV0d29ya3Rvb2xzIl0.
    -
    Caveat I have not used any of these tools on android so cannot vouch that they ahve reasonable presentation of data.
    -
    What you want to determine is if these is a network issue between your phone/router or the router/play.google.com
    -
    Unfortunately web-browsing is not a good test in most cases (unless the amount of data required for a particular set of page is very large)
    (i.e, in moble mode most websites are fairly small with regards to total number of bytes)
  3. dputi

dputi New Member

It's your router! I had the same problem. Made the switch from a Belkin N150 to a Netgear N600 dual band. My wifi works flawless. Super fassst!
  4. egalvan

egalvan New Member

I get consistently about 25 to 30 mb/s download speed tested at the same spot on my laptop and nexus 7 tablet. But when I run speed test.net on my RAZR maxx in the same spot speeds will not go higher than about 15 mb/s. And that's when no other devices are connected to the WiFi except the phone. I'm on the 4.1.2 verizon ota update. Does anyone know what the cause of this could be?
  5. Bigsteve49

Bigsteve49 Active Member

I am having the same type of problem. My Razr connects to my router but won't upload some recent pictures I have taken, to my computer and also doesn't allow me to cloud into my music on my computer if I am away from my WiFi. My daughter has a problem connecting her IPhone to download from Apple ICloud using my router also. I'm guessing it's my 4 year old Linksys/Cisco router. I am going to try and download some firmware to it since Cisco said it would help and they wanted to charge $40.00 dollars to remote in and do it.