• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Slow WiFi Transfers on Android but not Laptop

klaxian

Lurker
Dec 22, 2011
Hi everyone. I have been searching for an answer to this problem for a long time. I found many posts on this forum and Google about WiFi issues, but I don't think they are the same as mine. Any help is appreciated.

Basically, I am trying to transfer files from a local file server (Linux PC with wired 1000Mbit/s ethernet connection) to my Android phone over WiFi. I have tried via Samba (CIFS), SFTP, and HTTP with AndSMB, AndFTP, File Manager, and a web browser. The problem is that files transfer to my device at 1MB/sec. On my laptop that is right next to the phone, I get about 7MB/sec. Both are connected with 802.11n WPA2.

I have had the same problem on both a Droid BIONIC and my new Galaxy Nexus - that means both Gingerbread and ICS. Why can't I make full use of my WiFi connection? Is this just a limitation of the Android operating system or the hardware in some way?

For comparison, transferring files over USB with PTP runs at about 10MB/sec. Unfortunately, MTP and PTP seem to be problematic on Linux systems and I'd really prefer a wireless alternative, but it takes a LONG time to transfer large movies at 1MB/sec :(

Thanks!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones