• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Sluggish Evo

pulazki

Mar 30, 2011
So i've rooted my EVO, and loaded about 3-4 different roms on, and downloaded and installed about every app imaginable, and now it seems to be runnin a bit sluggish, so i was contemplating doing a factory restore, but if i do that, will i lose my root? and if so, whats my best option to factory restore without losing my root, or go about speedin my evo back up to the way it was the day i bought it?

Reactions: ocnbrze
If you're on a custom rom, I'm pretty sure you can't do factory reset.. I could be wrong but my phone froze when I tried it.

If you're doing wipe data + wipe dalvik + wipe cache before installing a ROM you're wiping everything on the phone pretty much. It sounds like you may have downloaded a bad app, and don't really need to reset. I'd suggest downloading either spare parts or watchdog(or both) to see if any apps are taking a lot of resources or holding partial wakes or anything.

Upvote 0
You wont lose your root.
Over time, lots of apps and texts make my phone sluggish too. So whenever i feel like its just getting frustrating, i will go in and do a factory reset. Then boot up and sign into gmail and its like the day you flashed the rom.

Or, when i move from rom to rom, i wipe and i dont restore anything. Just re downloading apps that i use most ;)

Upvote 0
You wont lose your root.
Over time, lots of apps and texts make my phone sluggish too. So whenever i feel like its just getting frustrating, i will go in and do a factory reset. Then boot up and sign into gmail and its like the day you flashed the rom.

Or, when i move from rom to rom, i wipe and i dont restore anything. Just re downloading apps that i use most ;)

Well every time I've tried on myn's or mikfroyo, my phone froze in the process(I waited 30 minutes and it was at the same screen) and wouldn't boot after. I had to nandroid restore. I've tried from the settings and from an EPST menu multiple times because a sprint tech demanded I reset my phone before they would send out a tech to check on service in my area.

Upvote 0
No i'm not running a ROM, i'm back to my rooted STOCK rom -- but like the other guy said i've got a crapton of text's and i've installed like every app off the market lol and now it's runnin sluggish, so i wanted to do a factory reset, glad to hear i wont lose me root..

And yeah i wanna do what u said about, just factory reset, sign into google, and re-download my top 20 or so favorite apps to get that factory freshness back

Upvote 0
You also might want to try (CacheCleaner NG) in the market and set it to clean daily. Helps keep the cache cleaned out for better performance. Also have you tried overclocking? This will also help with the overall speed of the phone. If your on the stock kernel, you'll have to change it to overclock.

setcpu_2.04.apk - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download

Upvote 0
You also might want to try (CacheCleaner NG) in the market and set it to clean daily. Helps keep the cache cleaned out for better performance. Also have you tried overclocking? This will also help with the overall speed of the phone. If your on the stock kernel, you'll have to change it to overclock.

setcpu_2.04.apk - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download

Maybe and maybe. Overclocking won't fix broken, and any benefit is arguable, same with constant cache clearing.. Cache is there for a reason.

My phone runs fine without doing either.

Upvote 0
Yeah i have SetCPU but it won't allow any overclocking, just underclocking, i believe i have to flash a kernal that allows for overclocking? correct me if i'm wrong. I just know that when i first booted up my HTC EVO out of the box it ran lightning fast and now i'm having a slight lag, nothing extreme or anything, barely even noticeable, but nonetheless noticable and i'd like to make my HTC run as best as possible and i really feel like if i reset to factory and just download my most used apps that it'll run alot better. That being said...

How do i factory reset without losing root?

I boot into bootloader (vol down + power)

then what? One website said that i should choose to 'clear storage'?

or should i just do a full wipe (cache, delvik cache and factory wipe) then reboot?

which way is better and whats the difference?

and what all am i going to lose that im not thinking about?
All my contacts are backed up with google right, so i just sign into google and it'll bring all my contacys back? besides apps, what else am i going to lose? i dont have any games so i dont care about data or anything with them..

Upvote 0
Just go to Menu>Settings>SD and Phone Storage ... Then click on Factory Data Reset.

That will take about 5 minutes, reboot your phone, and reboot you back just like the day you got it where you have to sign into gmail and other emails and twitter and all that jazz.
BUT... You will still have root. This factory data reset does not go that deep to where it erases root. Just all of YOUR data.

You will lose apps, settings, texts, contacts stored on the phone.
Your SD card will not be wiped. (be careful not to accidentally press it in the same menu ;) )
Check your contacts, go to People>Menu>View. And itll show you how many you have on your phone from google account, facebook account, and just stored on the phone. If you have any on your phone, you might want to save those, theyll be wiped.

Upvote 0
Hi.
I have a follow up question to all of this. I would like to clear all of the system memory AND the sd card.
Why? I also have installed a bunch of stuff and woukdnwant now like to settle on a new ROM. I suspect some of the instability in this ROM has to do with old apps getting in the way. In essence, I would like to install CHromium 2.0 and reload a fresh set of apps, data, etc. From that point. Can anybody tell me the best way to accomplish my goal? Help is Very much appreciated.
Thanks, HiramAbiff

Upvote 0
Hi.
I have a follow up question to all of this. I would like to clear all of the system memory AND the sd card.
Why? I also have installed a bunch of stuff and woukdnwant now like to settle on a new ROM. I suspect some of the instability in this ROM has to do with old apps getting in the way. In essence, I would like to install CHromium 2.0 and reload a fresh set of apps, data, etc. From that point. Can anybody tell me the best way to accomplish my goal? Help is Very much appreciated.
Thanks, HiramAbiff
What recovery are you using?
And what rom are you currently on?
Are you s-off or unlocked/s-on?

Upvote 0
What recovery are you using? Clockwork mod
And what rom are you currently on? currently on Chromium 2.0
Are you s-off or unlocked/s-on? ROOTED

Wanting to move to the same rom I have now, just want to get rid of all of the leftover remnents & artifacts from other experiments.

Yes, I am new to all of this

Upvote 0
First, Thank you all for your input and the recommendation that I read the above mentioned doc. Good stuff, seems that the only thing I really did not do (that I can tell) is make the Nandroid BU.
With all of that said, I still cannot get down to the point where a simple list of questions/ procedures can be easily distilled from reading either that doc (which I read one, twice and then thrice!). I know that this stiff has probably all been answered before, but I have been unable to find what I need in a simple procedure list type format which is what I believe I need to work with. So, please pardon my ignorance & maybe presenting what I want to do in this format will help others as well. Here goes:
1. working with Chromium 2.0 ROM which was installed over other roms & apps even though the cache's were first cleared.
2. Want to stay with that mod, but want to first clear as much from the phone AND the sd card as I can before installing--it appears that the erasing of that card and how that will affect the rest of the process is not heavily documented.
3. Made my Nandoid BU.
4. Working with Clockwork recovery 5.2.2 which seems to work well, I know it and am comfortable with it.
Want to be able to wipe all caches, system & card and re-flash Chromium 2.0 ROM.
5. Not clear to me if my clockwork recovery/bootloader will still be in tact after I do the above steps.
6.Of course, if I do the above steps including wiping wiping the SD card, it is not clear what the best way to get the ROM's zip file back on the SD card might be.

Bottom line, if I can be relatively sure that my clockwork loader will be in tact if I wipe all caches, system and sd card, I am guessing that I will be ok on my own from there. It's the system and SD wiping which has me a little freaked out! Most people do NOT want to wipe the SD card, I do--too much crap on it from playing around & no doubt by doing what I have in mind, I should recover a lot of space as well as get a lot fewer force closures on the system.
The only data I care about is calendar, contacts & to a lesser extent e-mail, but google should be keeping all of that nice and safe in their cloud.

I would be willing to bet that IF there is room, I can place the install ROM on the internal memory (there may not be enough room :-( ), use the system to format the card, move the rom's zip back to the card and then proceed to wipe everything but the card which I would have just formatted and placed the rom's zip on. So it seems to me that the basic question is, that if I tell clockwork to wipe all memory it offers me, will my boot loader go away as well? If it does, it kinda means starting WAY over & maybe that's not worth the effort--dunno.
Note: I tried SD maid, thinking it would clear out all of the old crap laying around & it turned out to not be a wise purchase. I am all for trying the recommended cleaning utility in the article, but the source location seems to be unavailable do to legal issues.
This LONG post may come down to answering just one question, but any comment on my methodology would be appreciated.
Again, thanks in advance.
HiramAbiff

Upvote 0
Well, I guess I would do the following. (Kinda what Rx suggested earlier)
1. Create file on computer..name it "sd card"...or whatever.
2. Download rom zip and place in that folder.
3. Make nandroid backup on phone.
4. connect phone to computer and transfer nandroid to the "sd card" folder.
5. Transfer anything else currently on sd card you would like to save (photos etc)
6. Disconnect phone from computer.
7. Boot into recovery.
I dont know about Clockwork recovery, I can only base the following off of Amon ra.
8. Once in recovery, format card and partition if desired (I recommend it) See link ocn provided and scroll down and you will find instructions on how to partition.
8a...Stay in recovery..
9. Plug phone into computer and find option in recovery to mount usb/ms toggle.
10. Transfer contents of "sd card" folder from computer to phone. Then unmount.
11. Still in recovery, wipe all except sd card (since you already formatted it and have
only items from "sd card" folder from computer on it.)
12. Wipe everything except sd card again. I usually wipe 3x.
13. Flash rom.
14. Your recovery and bootloader ain't going anywhere, dont worry.
15. Sign into gmail after rom has settled in and contacts/calendar/mail should sync up.
16. You now have fresh rom install, with minimal stuff on sd card.
Again, I dont know much about Clockwork other than it can be buggy and was suggested to flash Amon Ra recovery....it's much more stable/problem free. Depending if you are s-on or s-off, I believe there are different PC36IMG files used to install it. (Also in ocn's link)
When you wipe everything except sd card, it wipes your phone clean. As if your phone was new.
This is kinda like if you bought a new sd card and wanted to use it.
What size/class is your current card? I recommend at least 16GB, class 6 or higher.:)
I re-read my procedure and I think this should work. I would feel comfortable if others would concur.:D

Upvote 0
ok there are three "mini" operating systems running on your phone:
1.the android os (the rom you are currently on)
2.recovery
3.bootloader

all of those are not on the system partition except for the rom. when you do a wipe, the recovery and bootloader does not get wiped only the rom gets wiped.

and i would seriously consider you switching recoveries to amon ra. i have seen many instances where clockwork mod does not wipe very well. also with the current cwm recovery, you will not be able to flash certain files.

there are two types of scripts that are used to help tell the recovery how to install files on to the phone. they are amend and edify. they newer cwm only recognizes edify scripts. most of the files are in amend, however. only amon ra2.3 and clockwork mod2.6 can use both scripts. so if you feel comfortable with cwm, if anything i would recommend that you downgrade to that.

also if you plan on staying with cwm then i would wipe like three times everything except for the sd card to play it safe. like i said it just does not wipe very well.

Upvote 0
Gentlemen,
Thank you. What you gave me inthe last two posts gave me the info/verification I needed to do the deed. In that the feeling seems to be that I am being stubborn about keeping cwm, I'll first go ahead and take your advice & I stall Amazon Ra. Does anybody have a convenient link to the latest or best working version? If not, I am sure I can track it down, given enough time.
Question can I simply install this over my current install of cwm?
Also, I found a copy of "zzzvr_suoerwipe.zip " which claims to do the delete 3x. Am I better using this once I can install Amazon ra, of just do it manually

Upvote 0
Gentlemen,
Thank you. What you gave me inthe last two posts gave me the info/verification I needed to do the deed. In that the feeling seems to be that I am being stubborn about keeping cwm, I'll first go ahead and take your advice & I stall Amazon Ra. Does anybody have a convenient link to the latest or best working version? If not, I am sure I can track it down, given enough time.
Question can I simply install this over my current install of cwm?
Also, I found a copy of "zzzvr_suoerwipe.zip " which claims to do the delete 3x. Am I better using this once I can install Amazon ra, of just do it manually

Upvote 0
Hey guys,
I followed your instructions. Got Aman Ra installed and then, after wiping all of the memory, I installed my ROM. Things SEEMED to be going great. Problem is that I can neither make or receive calls. I seem to be able to get data via wifi, and all else gives the appearance of working. Even gave it my google account for syncing contacts and such. Still, however, no calls. I even checked roaming and such, but this did not help.
Any thoughts? Feeling kinda frustrated.........
Thanks,
HiramAbiff

Sorry I panicked guys. I have an airwave & did not realize that it was not functioning correctly. All seems to be ok now. Again, thanks for all of the help!

Upvote 0
Hey guys,
I followed your instructions. Got Aman Ra installed and then, after wiping all of the memory, I installed my ROM. Things SEEMED to be going great. Problem is that I can neither make or receive calls. I seem to be able to get data via wifi, and all else gives the apearance of working. Even gave it my google account for syncing contacts and such. Still, however, no calls. I even checked roaming and such, but this did not help.
Any thoughts? Feeling kinda frustrated.........
Thanks,
HiramAbiff
I assume you installed Chromium v2.0.
And you wiped everything, I mean everything, except sd card?
I like to wipe 3x.
Your google contacts/mail are syncing? Do you get data only via wifi But no phone calls , 3g or anthing without wifi?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones