• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

SM-N915T How to get Lollipop loaded ?

Well,I can share my experience,which is the exact opposite of yours:
I had an AT&T phone,unlocked, PAID FOR IN-FULL & using it on T-Mobile.
I had to buy a month's worth of service from AT&T to connect to their servers to get the OTA update from ICS to JellyBean.

So,I'd say contact T-Mobile & see if you'll be able to get any updates w/o having service w/them.
(I'm guessing the price difference in the handsets from AT&T & T-MOBILE is the driving factor here)

However,as T-mobile phones are generally more user-friendly,I'm betting side-loading an update/updated ROM wouldn't be a problem.
See the SamMobile web site or GOOGLE search for info regarding that.
XDA-DEVELOPERS is another good place to get info on all things EDGE:
http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/database/SM-N915T/
http://forum.xda-developers.com/note-edge

FWIW,I'm betting an update from AT&T on a T-Mobile device is NOT A GOOD IDEA.
Not exactly comparing apples to apples here.
The update from a carrier-specific version on another carrier version is a recipe for disaster.
Service/SIM Card is one thing,no problem,but,the firmware/update is another,DO NOT MIX & MATCH.

Reactions: Pittsburgh_Bill
Upvote 0
I purchased both the SM-N915T unlocked and SM-N915A locked and have a dilema.

My carrier is AT&T.

I want to get Lollipop via OTA. Should I return both of those and get a SM-N915G ?(I want to use AT&T).

Appreciate your help !

Judging from this :
http://www.willmyphonework.net/

The T-Mobile version is your best bet for band compatibility (outside of the AT&T version,looks the same though).
You'll have to check w/T-Mobile regarding updates w/their phone on another network.
But,as I mentioned,loading the updates yourself is a possibility (Using ODIN) & doesn't void the warranty,provided you don't load a rooted/3rd party modified variant.

I was on XDA last night,looking around & there's quite a few people just as you,on AT&T w/the T-Mobile device.
I'd ask around there for guidance on the updates (if no definitive answer from T-Mobile):
http://forum.xda-developers.com/note-edge/general

Upvote 0
Judging from this :
http://www.willmyphonework.net/

The T-Mobile version is your best bet for band compatibility (outside of the AT&T version,looks the same though).
You'll have to check w/T-Mobile regarding updates w/their phone on another network.
But,as I mentioned,loading the updates yourself is a possibility (Using ODIN) & doesn't void the warranty,provided you don't load a rooted/3rd party modified variant.

I was on XDA last night,looking around & there's quite a few people just as you,on AT&T w/the T-Mobile device.
I'd ask around there for guidance on the updates (if no definitive answer from T-Mobile):
http://forum.xda-developers.com/note-edge/general

Thanks so much for the tips.

I think what I'm going to do is use Samsung Kies to get Lollipop without the AT&T SIM card in it to update the phone then put the SIM card in.

Does that make sense?

Upvote 0
Thanks so much for the tips.

I think what I'm going to do is use Samsung Kies to get Lollipop without the AT&T SIM card in it to update the phone then put the SIM card in.

Does that make sense?

The SIM Card is a separate issue altogether,at least when using KIES.
First & foremost is hardware & firmware/software compatibility.
The update must match,in other words,the SM-N915T (T-Mobile version) should be flashed w/updates/firmware meant for that exact model.
The AT&T firmware may very well flash on the T-Mobile device,but,I wouldn't recommend trying it.
I'd only flash the firmware intended for the device using KIES.

Then,if you desire to root/ROM,I'd peruse the forums @XDA for guidance.

I'd say look here @ A/F,but,aftermarket modding discussions for the NOTE EDGE here are non-existent.
By all means,if anyone has knowledge/experience flashing stock firmwares for one carrier onto anothers device,good outcome or bad,we'd all like ya to share your experiences here.:)

Upvote 0
Thank you.

If I flash the firmware using KIES for the t-Mobile version of Lollipop and then use my AT&T SIM card I should be okay ?

Otherwise I'm not sure I see the advantage in getting an unlocked phone ?
Exactly,you'll be good to go,provided the phone & firmware are both T-Mobile,yes,you'll be good to go.
You may have to contact T-Mobile for a SIM unlock to use your AT&T SIM Card.
Not a big deal,especially if the device is paid for in full.
The SIM Card unlock code from T-Mobile will cost $0.00,contact their customer care for the code & SIM unlock instructions.
If not,there are other methods of getting a SIM unlock code,GOOGLE is your friend here.

Just a couple side notes:
The info how-to's/etc.. I've recommended are based off of general rules of thumb & in this case w/this device (T-Mobile),I recommend staying w/the firmware that came with the phone & only updating w/T-Mobile updates., whether through KIES,or,OTA (if possible w/o service from T-Mobile).

There are always exceptions,as the case w/the NEXUS 6 for the US Market:
You can purchase it unlocked or from any of the US carriers & flash the appropriate firmware for your US carrier.
Again,This is a rare exception.However,subsequent updates should match the firmware of the carrier you're using,just as the case here w/your phone.

Only reason I mention this is that the AT&T & T-Mobile Note Edge may possibly be the exact same hardware,only differing in model number only.
However,unless you can verify otherwise,I'd err on the side of caution & assume the hardware & firmware need to match exactly.
Ditto w/future updates.If you have to manually update,ensure the update matches up w/what you have on the phone (T-Mobile>T-Mobile).
So,to summarize:
T-Mobile Hardware > T-Mobile Firmware > T-Mobile updates
The SIM Card actually has absolutely nothing to do w/flashing firmare via KIES,you can leave it in or remove it,doesn't matter.

As I stated in a previous post regarding my AT&T device on T-Mobile:
The phone was never sold/carried by T-Mobile,so,the only way I could update was via OTA from AT&T's servers.
The firmware update wasn't available for a manual update,or,AT& T wasn't willing to share that w/me.The only way I could get the update was to connect to AT&T's servers,which meant getting service w/them (SIMCard).

So,if that particular update was available via a side loaded download,or using update software such as KIES,I would have taken that route & the SIM Card would have had absolutely no consequence in the update whatsoever.

Upvote 0
Exactly,you'll be good to go,provided the phone & firmware are both T-Mobile,yes,you'll be good to go.
You may have to contact T-Mobile for a SIM unlock to use your AT&T SIM Card.
Not a big deal,especially if the device is paid for in full.
The SIM Card unlock code from T-Mobile will cost $0.00,contact their customer care for the code & SIM unlock instructions.
If not,there are other methods of getting a SIM unlock code,GOOGLE is your friend here.

Just a couple side notes:
The info how-to's/etc.. I've recommended are based off of general rules of thumb & in this case w/this device (T-Mobile),I recommend staying w/the firmware that came with the phone & only updating w/T-Mobile updates., whether through KIES,or,OTA (if possible w/o service from T-Mobile).

There are always exceptions,as the case w/the NEXUS 6 for the US Market:
You can purchase it unlocked or from any of the US carriers & flash the appropriate firmware for your US carrier.
Again,This is a rare exception.However,subsequent updates should match the firmware of the carrier you're using,just as the case here w/your phone.

Only reason I mention this is that the AT&T & T-Mobile Note Edge may possibly be the exact same hardware,only differing in model number only.
However,unless you can verify otherwise,I'd err on the side of caution & assume the hardware & firmware need to match exactly.
Ditto w/future updates.If you have to manually update,ensure the update matches up w/what you have on the phone (T-Mobile>T-Mobile).
So,to summarize:
T-Mobile Hardware > T-Mobile Firmware > T-Mobile updates
The SIM Card actually has absolutely nothing to do w/flashing firmare via KIES,you can leave it in or remove it,doesn't matter.

As I stated in a previous post regarding my AT&T device on T-Mobile:
The phone was never sold/carried by T-Mobile,so,the only way I could update was via OTA from AT&T's servers.
The firmware update wasn't available for a manual update,or,AT& T wasn't willing to share that w/me.The only way I could get the update was to connect to AT&T's servers,which meant getting service w/them (SIMCard).

So,if that particular update was available via a side loaded download,or using update software such as KIES,I would have taken that route & the SIM Card would have had absolutely no consequence in the update whatsoever.

I fired it up on Saturday without any SIM card and after setup it asked if I wanted to upgrade to Lollipop. I'm assuming it either came pre-loaded or was pushed by Samsung - correct ?

Went to AT&T store yesterday and had it setup and running on the AT&T network in about 15 minutes.

So far so good. Truly amazed how fast this is !

Question - any suggestion on a non streaming music app ? I've heard iSyncr and Rocket are the best (I have iTunes).

Thanks so much for all the help !

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
I fired it up on Saturday without any SIM card and after setup it asked if I wanted to upgrade to Lollipop. I'm assuming it either came pre-loaded or was pushed by Samsung - correct ?

Went to AT&T store yesterday and had it setup and running on the AT&T network in about 15 minutes.

So far so good. Truly amazed how fast this is !

Question - any suggestion on a non streaming music app ? I've heard iSyncr and Rocket are the best (I have iTunes).

Thanks so much for all the help !
Glad to hear you're up & running w/Lollipop w/o any issues.
As for non-streaming music,someone else would have to chime-in on that,I use GooglePlayMusic & on occasion,Rhapsody.

By all means,feel free to start another thread here in the NOTE EDGE section,or,ask around in the lounge.
http://androidforums.com/forums/the-lounge.2/

Since you've expressed an interest in music,I thought ya might wanna check this discussion out as well (& feel free to go off-topic & ask around here regarding non-streaming apps)
http://androidforums.com/threads/marshall-releases-their-own-phone.929944/

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones