Small data plan How to optimize Droid XSupport

Last Updated:

1. wooderson

wooderson New Member This Topic's Starter

Just got the DROID X from Verizon and have the small 150Mb plan. I am looking to stop all unnecessary data usage unless I specifically want to use it. I have removed the news and weather widgets from my home screen and turned off "data enabled" and "background data" in settings/data delivery. I am around wifi all day so I can enable that if I want to download an app.

Is there anything else anyone can recommend or will that stop the majority of back and forth data transfer from the phone?

Thanks for helping a newbie!

Advertisement
  2. sitlet

sitlet Banned

the best thing to do is open the app drawer and open every single app. Go through the settings/preferences for each app and make sure they are set to manually sync.

Just removing them from the home screen doesnt make them stop syncing. You have to go to menu-settings-accounts and sync, and manually go into each one and turn off syncing.

3. bigshotproducer

bigshotproducer Well-Known Member

You may want to change your data settings to update on wifi only if you're around it all day.

menu-settings-data manager-data delivery

check options there that may work for you! Good luck!

4. Lars

Lars Well-Known Member

You should be fine if you mostly just sync email. Don't stream anything or you are toast in half an hour. Remember, you can go to 300 mb and still be at the price of the unlimited plan. Use net counter from market. Use locale to turn on wifi when you are near your wifi hot spots.

5. Lars

Lars Well-Known Member

Use opera mini which doesn't do flash and proxies pages heavily compressed.

6. rehpyc

rehpyc Well-Known Member

but the Verizon radio ad says it's a WHOPPING 150 megabytes :cool:

7. dylo22

dylo22 Well-Known Member

The main thing you have to avoid doing is streaming music, videos or tethering. Email, widgets and general web surfing won't use that much data. Plus if you use wifi for browsing the internet, I doubt you'll even get close to the limit.

8. apinkel

apinkel Well-Known Member

You may already be using this but in case you aren't... I use tasker and it's wifi near functionality to automatically switch to pre-defined wifi access points when they are within range.

You could also use it to switch on/off certain services if you are on wifi, or shut them off if not.

9. sund0wn

sund0wn Well-Known Member

also, make sure my verizon is updated, and use the data usage widget. that'll help you keep track of it.

and yes, it's 150mb, and $15/150MB over. that's why he said you can go up to 300 and still pay $30. my advice though, the moment you go over 150 (which i doubt you will if you're only checking email/surfing the web) just change to the unlimited plan.

but really, that widget works great. might as well use it so there are no surprises.