• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Smart Lock (Location) Stopped Working

dubie7006

Nov 15, 2011
I have two Smart Lock locations saved - my home and my office. Up until just a couple days ago, both were working perfectly. Now, neither location setting works. I end up having to use fingerprint to unlock at each location. I know Smart Lock is turned on and working because when connected to my car it allows me to unlock without needing print/password.

Anyone else having this issue? I tried powering off and back on but no effect in the capability. And yes, I verified that location is turned on, even turning it off and back on again. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Reactions: tonytx42
I managed to get it working again, briefly, by deleting the trusted place and resetting it, but, for no apparent reason, it's now not working again. Time has passed, literally nothing else changed since earlier today.

Frankly, it's an Android embarrassment.

As a matter of interest, how did you set your trusted place - address/post code or dropped pin?

Upvote 0
I think it's worth trying the dropped pin. I've set mine up with the dropped pin on the blue location dot on Google Maps. I found that using the default Google Maps location/postcode isn't accurate in my case, and although it's supposed to have a range of 80 metres it wasn't reliable until I used the dropped pin option.

Last edited:
Reactions: Malcolm Reynolds
Upvote 0
I think it's worth trying the dropped pin. I've set mine up with the dropped pin on the blue location dot on Google Maps. I found that using the default Google Maps location/postcode isn't accurate in my case, and although it's supposed to have a range of 80 metres it wasn't reliable until I used the dropped pin option.
Ok, I've given it a try. Still not sure why it worked initially and then stopped for no apparant reason, but that's tech for you I suppose. Thanks a lot.

Upvote 0
Once again, it worked for a couple of hours, and now the phone just locks again. Very strange.

Upvote 0
I assume that like most properties, mine included, you don't have a reliable GPS signal and rely on WiFi geolocation.

I do have a single storey extension with a plastic roof which gives a good GPS location but don't normally have GPS on at home, however my WiFi location is good and locates me reliably to my hub position and allows smartlock to work.

Do you get a good GPS signal anywhere in your property?

With GPS switched off do you get a reliable and steady WiFi geolocation to your hub/wifi access point?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I assume that like most properties, mine included, you don't have a reliable GPS signal and rely on WiFi geolocation.

I do have a single storey extension with a plastic roof which gives a good GPS location but don't normally have GPS on at home, however my WiFi location is good and locates me reliably to my hub position and allows smartlock to work.

Do you get a good GPS signal anywhere in your property?

With GPS switched off do you get a reliable and steady WiFi geolocation to your hub/wifi access point?
No, it doesn't work well either way, though the signal are ok here. I've tried both options independently to no avail. Interestingly enough, smart lock seemed to function ok at work the other day, I'll try that again. And my other trusted place.

Upvote 0
No, it doesn't work well either way, though the signal are ok here. I've tried both options independently to no avail. Interestingly enough, smart lock seemed to function ok at work the other day, I'll try that again. And my other trusted place.

It may be worth checking your WiFi scanning setting in 'Location' settings. If it's ON it will keep scanning for WiFi access points even though you may have WiFi switched off.

Screenshot_20171001-231139.png Screenshot_20171001-231153.png Screenshot_20171001-231209.png Screenshot_20171001-231232.png

Tap the 3 dot menu button top right then tap 'Scanning'.

Last edited:
Reactions: Malcolm Reynolds
Upvote 0
Did you check your scanning setting?

When you are at home if you open Google Maps does your blue location dot locate you close to your WiFi access point and remain steady?

Have you recently moved house or had a new router/hub/WiFi access point?

Do other location based services eg. weather app show the correct location?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Did you check your scanning setting?

When you are at home if you open Google Maps does your blue location dot locate you close to your WiFi access point and remain steady?

Have you recently moved house or had a new router/hub/WiFi access point?

Do other location based services eg. weather app show the correct location?
Sorry, didn't see your last comment until now. Switched off the scanning and the WiFi to check if there's any improvement using GPS only (that's what you meant, right?). Had a new router recently, which could be a factor I suppose, though I don't know why. Weather app seems to locate my position ok.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones