• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Smartphones to die out within five years?

jefboyardee

Extreme Android User
Jan 18, 2011
Smartphones to die out 'within five years', says new study

According to a new study of 100,000 consumers, mobile technology is expected to be replaced by artificial intelligence

10 Hot Consumer Trends for 2016
1. The Lifestyle Network Effect.
Four out of five people now experience an effect where the benefits gained from online services increases as more people use them. Globally, one in three consumers already participates in various forms of the sharing economy.​
2. Streaming Natives.
Teenagers watch more YouTube video content daily than other age groups. Forty-six percent of 16-19 year-olds spend an hour or more on YouTube every day.​
3. AI Ends The Screen Age.
Artificial intelligence will enable interaction with objects without the need for a smartphone screen. One in two smartphone users think smartphones will be a thing of the past within the next five years.​
4. Virtual Gets Real.
Consumers want virtual technology for everyday activities such as watching sports and making video calls. Forty-four percent even want to print their own food.​
5. Sensing Homes.
Fifty-five percent of smartphone owners believe bricks used to build homes could include sensors that monitor mold, leakage and electricity issues within the next five years. As a result, the concept of smart homes may need to be rethought from the ground up.​
6. Smart Commuters.
Commuters want to use their time meaningfully and not feel like passive objects in transit. Eighty-six percent would use personalized commuting services if they were available.​
7. Emergency Chat.
Social networks may become the preferred way to contact emergency services. Six out of 10 consumers are also interested in a disaster information app.​
8. Internables.
Internal sensors that measure well-being in our bodies may become the new wearables. Eight out of 10 consumers would like to use technology to enhance sensory perceptions and cognitive abilities such as vision, memory and hearing.​
9. Everything Gets Hacked.
Most smartphone users believe hacking and viruses will continue to be an issue. As a positive side-effect, one in five say they have greater trust in an organization that was hacked but then solved the problem.​
10. Netizen Journalists.
Consumers share more information than ever and believe it increases their influence on society. More than a third believe blowing the whistle on a corrupt company online has greater impact than going to the police.​

...but none of those things vibrate!

Reactions: Apkslot
The Internet has become as revolutionary a tool in the 21st Century as the telephone was in the 20th. Smartphones combine the two: never mind that we hold the vastness of all human knowledge in our hands and watch cute kitten videos with it :p

I do not see Smartphones coming to an end in 5 years, any more than the Internet or telephone ended. Evolve? Yes. But die off? I highly, highly doubt it.

Upvote 0
Smartphones to die out 'within five years', says new study

According to a new study of 100,000 consumers, mobile technology is expected to be replaced by artificial intelligence

10 Hot Consumer Trends for 2016
4. Virtual Gets Real.
Consumers want virtual technology for everyday activities such as watching sports and making video calls. Forty-four percent even want to print their own food.

...but none of those things vibrate!

I do agree smartphones will disappear sometime in the future.. wearable or even internal.
but in 5 years? NO..

this report lost all creditability with ME.. when I read the part about 44% want to print their food.
over 40% of 100k people .. want to eat printed food? Yeah.. I cant buy into that.
4 out of 10 people? they might try it out.. or in emergencies... like MREs.
I want to TRY it...but not as a daily consumed product.
Not anytime soon!

Upvote 0
With any survey how you choose the population you sample, what options you present and how you ask the question makes a huge difference to the answers you get.

With that caveat placed, and without reading the article (life's too short to read the Torygraph), I'll just note that most of this seems to be things that the respondents either said they want/would like or say they believe. Put another way, none of it is a meaningful prediction about what will happen or on what timescale.

Upvote 0
In the Jetsons, people actually DROVE their flying cars. Nowadays, people eat, drink, smoke, text and apply makeup - usually all at the same time - instead of driving! We'd be a dangerous society driving in three dimensions, as reckless as we are in two :p

Take the human out of the loop. By then, car AI should have improved to be far superior to manual driving by humans.
But hey, where's the fun in that?

Reactions: Apkslot
Upvote 0
yes.. they only way we can have flying cars.. for the average joe... must be 99% controlled by AIs.

the thousands of planes that we have now in the air... must be controlled by highly trained pilots .. and with help of control towers..
I can NOT picture adding 1o0 million flying cars to the mix without a huge help from something that can NOT be distracted.

Upvote 0
yes.. they only way we can have flying cars.. for the average joe... must be 99% controlled by AIs.

the thousands of planes that we have now in the air... must be controlled by highly trained pilots .. and with help of control towers..
I can NOT picture adding 1o0 million flying cars to the mix without a huge help from something that can NOT be distracted.

You're right about the cars, and as you know, modern planes are loaded with computers. It's all 'fly by wire' with controls attached to electronics. I read somewhere that without the computers to help, a lot of planes would be like flying bricks, virtually uncontrollable by humans alone. Maybe that was just high tech fighter planes though.

Upvote 0
Not five years, more like five months...

Elon Musk launches $1bn fund to save world from AI

The idea of super-intelligent computers that become so indispensable to human life they eventually make us redundant and take over has moved from the pages of science fiction to scientific journals.

Eventually AI systems communicating among themselves could control entire transport networks and national economies.
...mentions the scariest thing in the world – supercomputers teaching other supercomputers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Not five years, more like five months...

Elon Musk launches $1bn fund to save world from AI

The idea of super-intelligent computers that become so indispensable to human life they eventually make us redundant and take over has moved from the pages of science fiction to scientific journals.

Eventually AI systems communicating among themselves could control entire transport networks and national economies.
...mentions the scariest thing in the world – supercomputers teaching other supercomputers.

Seriously?
I didn't think that computers were anywhere near having a level of processing power required to produce intelligent thinking and independent decision making, let alone teach other computers.

Of all the threats to humanity, AI would be near the bottom of my list.

Upvote 0
Seriously?
I didn't think that computers were anywhere near having a level of processing power required to produce intelligent thinking and independent decision making, let alone teach other computers.

Of all the threats to humanity, AI would be near the bottom of my list.
now I'm frustrated on how ppl think there couldn't possibly be enough advancement for a PC to "Think".. Here ya go: Bad BIOS (some real Terminator type stuff):
http://arstechnica.com/security/201...erious-mac-and-pc-malware-that-jumps-airgaps/

Upvote 0
They can "think". Being programmed to do more and more and that's what scares me.
The majority of the population is getting to lazy to think for themselves. "Siri (Google, Cortana) what the best show on tonight or the best movie?"

Watch the movie and find out for yourself!

"I saw it on the internet so it must be true"

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones