• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Smartphones to die out within five years?

Computers don't "think" for themselves as such. Any computer today follows a pre-determined program, executing code that is designed to respond to user inputs, or sensors.
I'll be impressed when I see a computer adapt its behaviour to do something it wasn't programmed to do. That is true learning. When that starts to happen I'll not only be impressed, I'll begin to get worried.

Upvote 0
Time for a meme I think...

Don__t_F____with_Hal9000_by_Volts48.jpg

Upvote 0
Artificial Intelligence Doctors And Virtual Reality Vacations Are On The Horizon

“The future is going to be happening much, much faster than anyone ever imagined,” said Wadhwa, explaining that tech growth has been exponential — meaning as technology advances it does so with increasing speed.

It took more than a century to go from Alexander Graham Bell’s first telephone to Gordon Gekko’s iconic clunker in the movie Wall Street. Just two decades later we had the first iPhone. In 2010, $1,000 would buy a computer with the computational power of a mouse brain; soon it will buy you a computer as strong as the human brain.

“Medicine is becoming digital,” said Wadhwa, who thinks we’ll eventually be able to use artificial intelligence instead of doctors for much of our healthcare. He envisions our devices monitoring us constantly and even sending text messages when we eat too much pie or when we’re on the verge of becoming sick and need to take preventive measures.“This is all in the next five years,” Wadhwa told the crowd. “It’s not science fiction — we’re talking about this decade.”​

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
something is NOT lining up....

is the "COMPUTATIONAL" .... that is making this statement true?

I think that is referring to raw processing speed of a CPU (in terms of instructions per second), which is always improving. Applying AI to a specific domain such as medical diagnosis is probably feasible - it has definable rules, based on symptoms. This is a world away from creating a computer which can solve arbitrary problems and make intelligent decisions. Just think of the amount of data we have stored in our brains. A computer would need a vast database to come close to this. Besides, the way the brain uses that data by making connections is quite different from a CPU retrieving specific information from a database, and executing a well defined sequence of machine instructions.
Yes the raw processing speed of a modern computer probably exceeds the speed of a human brain, but you need much more than that to create an artificial intelligence.

Upvote 0
I remember about 20 years ago when we were told that the Desktop computer wont last more than a few years as Laptops and all will take over. Well 20 years later and I'm still using a Desktop. Well technically its a laptop but mobility isn't going to happen with all the drives I have hooked to it lol. Still the consensus was back then that smaller devices will come and remove the old ones and well that hasn't happened just yet. I mean seriously only a few things have changed over the last 30 plus years with computers and most of that has been with Media. Oh we no longer use dial up modems now and bluetooth and wifi both have gone further than first imagined however they are not that big of a change. The rest of the computer still requires the same stuff it did 20 years ago to work. A processor and Memory. While they have gotten better they are still pretty much the same tech as they were 20 years ago

Upvote 0
I remember about 20 years ago when we were told that the Desktop computer wont last more than a few years as Laptops and all will take over. Well 20 years later and I'm still using a Desktop. Well technically its a laptop but mobility isn't going to happen with all the drives I have hooked to it lol. Still the consensus was back then that smaller devices will come and remove the old ones and well that hasn't happened just yet. I mean seriously only a few things have changed over the last 30 plus years with computers and most of that has been with Media. Oh we no longer use dial up modems now and bluetooth and wifi both have gone further than first imagined however they are not that big of a change. The rest of the computer still requires the same stuff it did 20 years ago to work. A processor and Memory. While they have gotten better they are still pretty much the same tech as they were 20 years ago
But would it be a fair statement to say that more people have Tablets and laptop's than desktops?
I use a desktop for work, we had a desktop at home but got rid of it because the 2 oldest have laptops that they never use and Ipads provided by their schools.

Desktop computers are very useful and will always have a place in some shape or form, but they are becoming less and less popular as home devices.

Reactions: bcrichster
Upvote 0
We have been 5 years away from intelegent computers for 50 years now, and are no closer than we were back then.

+1
I remember writing a dissertation about expert systems for my degree. That was quite a few years ago. This is a software program that can solve a problem, based on inputs, by making a series of directed decisions. But it can only function in a specific domain, with well defined rules.
Computers are dumb. They only follow instructions. That's still the case, and will be for many years. AFAIK we are nowhere near truly intelligent machines which can adapt their behaviour and make decisions beyond what they are programmed to do. And further, they are limited by what they 'know' i.e. what's in their database.

Reactions: argedion
Upvote 0
+1
I remember writing a dissertation about expert systems for my degree. That was quite a few years ago. This is a software program that can solve a problem, based on inputs, by making a series of directed decisions. But it can only function in a specific domain, with well defined rules.
Computers are dumb. They only follow instructions. That's still the case, and will be for many years. AFAIK we are nowhere near truly intelligent machines which can adapt their behaviour and make decisions beyond what they are programmed to do. And further, they are limited by what they 'know' i.e. what's in their database.
please refer to post #3..
http://androidforums.com/index.php?posts/7167130

Upvote 0
Functionally a laptop is no different than a desktop.
Only the cabinet is different.

We have been 5 years away from intelegent computers for 50 years now, and are no closer than we were back then.
Functionally a smart phone is a very small basic desktop as well.
My point is that we are moving away from the desktop being our every day go to computing system (well actually we have moved away).

We have a house phone that we pay money for it to sit unused. Their are times having a landlines is very useful, but that's only a few times a year.

We have a total of 3 laptops but we don't use them (just like the desktop we got rid of). The 2 oldest have Ipads that they use for school, Kyle uses his iPhone for everything else, David uses his M8 and his Samsung tablet to do all the things that teenagers do (you don't wanna know ).
Like the telephone, desktops will have a place in this world for years to come, as will the laptop.

Desktops may not quite be going away, but they certainly aren't that important to the every day person.

In 5 years smartphones will evolve (as they continue to do almost daily).
Heck maybe you can have Bluetooth Diamond earrings and a smart bracelet so the ladies can leave their phone at home when they spend a night on the town.

That's enough of me rambling on and on.

Reactions: dontpanicbobby
Upvote 0
home landlines??? do people still have those?

I have not had one in years..
my parents have not had one in years..
my friends do not have one in years..
the office I work don't have one in years..

landlines are a waste of money... and public telephones.. are dieing and disappearing.

Upvote 0
home landlines??? do people still have those?

I have not had one in years..
my parents have not had one in years..
my friends do not have one in years..
the office I work don't have one in years..

landlines are a waste of money... and public telephones.. are dieing and disappearing.
We have to have it really. I live in southeastern Ohio. Nothing but hills and National Forrester. Our cell service isn't reliable enough to go without it.
If you need to call out (especially if it's an emergency), most folks outside of town need a landline.

Reactions: argedion
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones