• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Smartwatch build quality

El Presidente

Beware The Milky Pirate!
Jan 3, 2011
Scotland
I noticed during the week that the glue holding my smartwatch appears to have come unstuck. If I press the back of the watch hard enough the "face" will rise slightly. I've attached a pic, not sure how visible it is though.

Anyone else have similar issues (or build quality problems in general)? I'm relatively certain I've just got a lemon but it would be good to know of other folk have had similar problems.

I'll give Sony a call tomorrow, see what they say.

ysemy6an.jpg

Not until I read this. Just took mine off, gave the back a firm prod.... and pushed the body right out of the frame! :eek:

Nothing to do with me :vroam:

Called Sony today, they've given me an RMA number and a free post address to send it to for repair so I'll sort it out once I've finished this set of shifts.

Upvote 0
there's definitely a layer of adhesive on mine.

I'm thinking a smear of clear bath sealant will probably do the job, should I feel the need. The other options available in the toolbox are blue Locktite or super-strength cyanoacryllic adhesive (a.k.a. Super Glue), both of which might be just a little too permanent. ;)

Upvote 0
It's nice to have, but I'm not sure I'd pay 150 quid for it.

If I'm out cycling or in town or whatever, it's handy to be able to look at my watch and make calls, check to see if I need to respond to texts/whatsapps etc without needlessly getting my phone out of my inside jacket pocket. Or if I'm in the gym, I don't need to take the phone out of my armband to see who's calling or call home or whatever.

Also handy when I'm in the kitchen making tea. I can leave the phone in the living room, have the watch and my bluetooth speaker/mic in there with me and not need to leave the kitchen to answer the phone.

I also have a pretty cool tasker profile setup so that when my phone and watch are connected I don't need to enter a PIN to access the handset.

My main music app is deezer, but I've yet to find a smartwatch app I can use to switch tracks on that. Admittedly, I did stop looking about 2 months ago.

All in all, it does some nice things and it is handy, but my life wouldn't be much more difficult without it.

Upvote 0
I do not know. When I bought my Z1 I bought the smartwatch 2 as well as I got a good deal. Since then I have taken it out of the box twice, and worn it a total of 30 minutes. How do you make and receive calls from it El Presidente? I see I can 'call' someone from it but the sound comes from the handset. Am I doing something wrong?

Stuters, if you want one you can have mine. i am sure we can strike a deal.... ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones