Smileys/Emoticons

Last Updated: 2010-11-04 22:20:44
  1. fat_jay

fat_jay Member

Aternoon all, first post and first android phone, so go easy on me please :D
    Got my desire a couple of days ago, but can find the smileys to add to text messages, i have found where the ;) :( type thingys are but they are sent and recieved like that, not as nice smiley faces, any ideas ?

Advertisement
  2. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

I'm not sure with the the default app, but try handcent its a lot better. It also has an option to insert smilies, you pick them from the picture. They also show as the pictures when you receive sms too in handcent :)
    fat_jay likes this.
  3. fat_jay

fat_jay Member

Thanks lekky, will check it out
    Be interesting to know if they are available on the supplied text software tho?
    Jay
  4. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

I don't think so, handcent is better anyway :p
  5. wavemeister

wavemeister Active Member

The smileys are there, when you are entering text hit the menu button and and it brings up a list of options one of which is insert smiley, they are little android ones though not like theses :):p
    Papalos, sasperella and Trotski like this.
  6. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

They only show as android pics on an android phone ;)
    bethany66 likes this.
  7. fat_jay

fat_jay Member

Wavemeister you star!
  8. philliptilley

philliptilley New Member

I have a DROIDX and my wife has the Droid. She is always sending me texts that should have the android smileys, like them or not, but they are showing up as plain text on my phone. Yet when I send her a text and insert one of the android smileys it shows up as a smiley on her phone. Do I need to alter a setting?
  9. ducktherhyno

ducktherhyno New Member

Hey not sure if you figured it out yet. If you tap the compose text part, click the menu button, hit the more button in the bottom right corner the bottom of the two choices is smileys :D. hope it helps
  10. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

The appearance or not of a smiley depends on the recipient, not the sender.

Ultimately, you're sending text; if you send a 'smiley' it gets encoded into an SMS as colon-slash-closebracket. The recipient's phone might then chose to display that sequence of text as a graphic, but equally it might not.

If you're looking for an option to embed an android into your text so that your iPhone owning friend gets a little picture of an android, it's not going to happen. It's all text.