SMS Alert Types?!?

1. WombatMan

WombatMan Member

So my wife and I are lying in bed this morning at 1:47 AM, when both of our phones (both Galaxy S3

Advertisement
    :
  2. KENNECTED

KENNECTED Well-Known Member

3. WombatMan

WombatMan Member

so I did some more digging and found a web site with more info. Here's a basic breakdown:
    1. Presidential Alerts – Alerts issued by the President or a designee;
    2. Imminent Threat Alerts – Alerts that include severe man-made or natural disasters, such as hurricanes, earthquakes, tornadoes, etc., where an imminent threat to life or property exists; and
    3. AMBER Alerts – Alerts that meet the U.S. Department of Justice’s criteria to help law enforcement search for and locate an abducted child.
    I can't find anything saying the difference between "Extreme" and "Severe", but at least this give me a general idea. If anybody's interested in learning more info on it, here's where I found the snippet above:

Wireless Emergency Alerts on Your Mobile Device

Also here's Verizon's FAQ regarding these alerts:

Wireless Emergency Alerts FAQs | Verizon Wireless
  4. gtbarry

gtbarry Well-Known Member

Um, what messaging app? My Settings (stock Messaging on Galaxy Nexus) has no such thing.
  5. WombatMan

WombatMan Member

For me it's in the stock messaging app for the Galaxy S3. The S3 uses Samsung, TouchWiz UI whereas I don't think the Galaxy Nexus does, so maybe it's a proprietary option. I looked around the GoSMS app, which is what I usually use, and can't find the option there either.
  6. Parshooter

Parshooter Well-Known Member

Stock messaging app here. Under settings, it's at the bottom of the menu. I can turn off all alerts except for presidential, I can also adjust the frequency of the reminder for the alerts.
  7. Charlym

Charlym Active Member

I found the setting(cmas alert) on my galaxy s2 t-989 with ICS!

Never knew it was there, and haven't had any alerts yet, even though they are checked off by default.
  8. jwp1223

jwp1223 Well-Known Member

I'd like to turn off the Presidential Alert...I honestly could careless what that man has to say.
  9. Parshooter

Parshooter Well-Known Member

:rofl: