SMS app question.

Last Updated:

1. semperLux

semperLux Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I've allowed myself two weeks with both Handcent SMS and ChompSMS and I can't see a significant advantage over whatever is in the EVO now. My first experience with android is 2.1 on EVO. Do these apps provide a functionality included in 2.1? What am I supposed to be looking for that makes these two apps better than the stock SMS app? Some guidance pls?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Advertisement
  2. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

Hello Semperlux.

Many users report going to Handcent or Chomp because of keyboard issues: lag, poor user interface, etc. There are also more choices.

I agree with you, however; I found no advantage on my Eris to using other than the stock keyboard.. having only tried those apps on a whim in the first place, nothing wrong with what was provided stock keyboard-wise. ;)

Having said that, this is from the Handcent page:

Compatible with existed android phones,including HTC Dream,Magic,HERO ,MyTouch 3G,
    Cliq,Droid,Moment,Tattoo,ERIS,Nexus One,Desire,Legend,X10......
    [​IMG]
    Full Support SMS,MMS including attach picture,movie,audio..... [​IMG]

Greate customizability,you can define many options on settings window
    [​IMG]

Power SMS POP UP Window including SMS Template(Quick Text),Recognize Speech and Speak SMS [​IMG]

Group Send SMS & MMS, easy people & group select , Sync with your phone contact database [​IMG]

Beautiful UI ,including different theme and different conversation bubble style (iphone,handcent ,android)...
    [​IMG]

Define different ringtone,vibrate,LED,background,signature ,bubble style... for different people [​IMG]

Support additional font pack ,can display sms message with many beautiful & stylish font
    [​IMG]

Include 10 and more countries language pack and will continue support more language
    [​IMG]

Many useful functions including Blacklist ,Search SMS & MMS ,Batch Mode for threads & Messages.... [​IMG]

Support Handcent keyboard (A T9 predict Text keyboard)
    [​IMG]

…many more functions are in development

semperLux likes this.
  3. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

..with apologies for the poor formatting of that text. :eek:

4. ScorpDX

ScorpDX Well-Known Member

I use Handcent for the customizable conversation window and being able to add custom notifications to specific contacts. I'm sure there's a few other differences but those are the biggest draws for me.

5. NYCHitman1

NYCHitman1 Gun for Hire Developer

Same here.