• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

SMS app that has keyword filtering?

satinkzo

Oct 26, 2009
I am looking for an all-in-one SMS app that can filter incoming messages based on words and phrases in the message. The reason being that I have monitoring systems at work that send SMS alerts and sometimes the alerts are just FYI, not OMG's :)

So anyways, right now I have a Hero, so I use Handcent for the replacement of the stock app until it is fixed and SMS Firewall to filter incoming messages and do the alerting.
Being a 2 part solution it works very well, but I was curious if anyone has tried anything that has it all in one.

I have tried a few of the apps out there and none seem to work right.
Here's what I tried without success
aFirewall (didn't seem to filter properly)
SMS manager (can't remember what was wrong)
SMS Guard (kept getting a force close when a message came in)
PandaFirewall (didn't filter anything properly when I tested)
GSMS (force close when trying to view inbox)

I was going to try UltimateSMS, but it appears to have been removed from the Market.

BUMP

I am looking for something similar.

Additionally, though, I want to be able to control how many times or how long the alert goes for. I am a pretty deep sleeper, and often a 15 second alert just may not be enough for me. I'd love to be able to tell it to alert forever.

Also, I'd love to filter based on a keyword in the sms, rather than by contact. For example, if it contained "sev1" or "sev2", always ring forever at the highest volume with this particular ringtone.

I am on a 30 day trial with my Droid in hopes of finding this app. I know it exists on the Blackberry (called WebMessenger) but I don't want a BB (can you blame me? ;) ). I want Android. I'm a huge fan of Google and the open source community.

<3

Upvote 0
I, too, have a need for an application just like this. I'm coming from a BB (where I used SmartAlerts) and my basic requirements are:

• Filter on message content (ie: the string "Nagios: PROBLEM" or "911 Event", etc) would activate a massive alerts.
  • Alerts would have the option of triggering a repeating alert at intervals (5s, 10s, 15s, etc) and continue indefinitely until the message is acknowledged
  • Alerts would have to have the option of overriding any selected sound profile
I would pay ($$$) for this to be developed. I simply do not have time to learn the API and write it myself.

Upvote 0
Tasker might be of use here. It's not a pure messaging app, more of an automation app really

There's a 7 day trial on the Tasker website here although I'd recommend buying from the market if it meets your needs as the update process is easier.

There are a number of examples of reacting to SMS messages using Tasker on the wiki

I use Tasker extensively for a variety of purposes (volume profiles, in-car automation, location tracking, weather forecasts, etc); 1 of these is to respond to certain keywords in SMS messages for security purposes (eg lock the phone, sound an alarm, track the phone's location, etc).

Be advised that Tasker has a bit of a learning curve, however if you have a specific need to respond to events (SMS received), states (bluetooth connected), day / time, location etc in a certain way then you can do it with Tasker.

There's a pretty good support forum here that might be worth searching to see if Tasker will meet your needs.

Upvote 0
Tasker might be of use here. It's not a pure messaging app, more of an automation app really

There's a 7 day trial on the Tasker website here although I'd recommend buying from the market if it meets your needs as the update process is easier.

There are a number of examples of reacting to SMS messages using Tasker on the wiki

I use Tasker extensively for a variety of purposes (volume profiles, in-car automation, location tracking, weather forecasts, etc); 1 of these is to respond to certain keywords in SMS messages for security purposes (eg lock the phone, sound an alarm, track the phone's location, etc).

Be advised that Tasker has a bit of a learning curve, however if you have a specific need to respond to events (SMS received), states (bluetooth connected), day / time, location etc in a certain way then you can do it with Tasker.

There's a pretty good support forum here that might be worth searching to see if Tasker will meet your needs.

I think tasker is a perfect fit for your situation. Once you understand how to use this it'll do exactly what you want it to do. There are other programs that are simpler to learn such as Llama and Automateit, but tasker is way more extensive.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones