sms back up restore from wm6.1 to galaxy sSupport

Last Updated:

1. jakey820

jakey820 New Member This Topic's Starter

having just upgraded from windows mobile 6.1 to android (and loving it btw) i decided that because of some important details in my sms threads on my old omnia i900 i would copy them across to my new android, a quick google told me there was only one app for the job - sms backup&restore and its windows mobile export counter-part. using these two i copied my messages and copied the contacts through gmail however since i have updated some contacts have their facebook profile picture next to their message thread while some, those who have been texted the most seem to lack this - until i choose to send a text as "new message" where it appears until i back out of the thread. wondering if there's some solution to this minor niggle in an otherwise amazing OS.

Advertisement
  2. jakey820

jakey820 New Member This Topic's Starter

right, sorry for the bump but i thought it best to post this solution i found incase anyone else has a similar issue, with names displaying in quotation marks and contact pictures not being assigned properly only in the SMS app after a restore. to fix first use the sms backup and restore to backup the messages on the phone (after all thats why youre in this mess) then move the .xml file to a pc to secure it. now backup everything else and do a factory reset on the phone - i tried clearing contacts and just sms and both but it appeared a full reset was necessary. after the reset add the contacts back - i used a gmail account sync. and for all the ones for which you had the problem create a message as a draft. now restore your old messages and the app should work properly from now on.